Element Tip Tangle on Launch

General Discussions
kite*hawk

Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:00 pm

Love to see you posting on the forum Bill. Not sure if you are allowed to chime in on why you left Switch or whats in store for Hansen Areosports but either way I wish you the best of luck!

Here is the old post with launching method. Super light wind so gonna try and remember to film technique in higher wind.

So here are 2 short videos displaying the technique I described. I have had zero issues since I started using this method. Might not look as cool as a hot launch but it is 100% safe. Notice in the beginning of the vid how he checks his lines by raising both back lines to make sure no tangles. Also notice how he holds the chicken loop instead of hooking in. This is done for 2 reasons.1 is that it makes the kite roll onto its side once you get to then edge of the wind window and rests there while you hook in and do one last check of lines and bar. 2 is that you can just let go if stuff goes wrong. No need to try and deploy the safety while your flying through the air of getting dragged around. Ive seen guys try and deploy the safety unsuccessfully on a launch gone wrong and get worked.We had a very bad one on the beach this year. Notice how he walks around to the edge of the wind window with lines taut. Also the most important is to hold the rear line that will eventually be the top line up so no line tangles can happen. This will be the rear line in the direction you are walking. you can visually see all your lines are untangled through this whole process. The wind went offshore and got light so we couldn't get the kite to launch but you get the idea. 2nd video has a reverse launch as he had to walk all the way around til the kite was straight down wind. hope this helps.
https://goo.gl/photos/2ojXXbMmJz8BVhjBA
https://goo.gl/photos/bqThbjkg5YSHrv198
kite*hawk

topmick

Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:19 pm

Hansen Aerosports wrote:Hello Topmick:
Your rear line is probably catching on the wingtip line deflector where it is sewn to the LE closing seam. This detail was changed to alleviate this at the beginning of 2017 but I cannot say when or on which production kites it was instituted. When launching, self or assisted, you should be able to see if both rear lines are running directly to the their respective wingtip end attachment webbing.
Cheers!
- Bill
Hi Bill,

That explains why it doesn't happen with my 7m E5 as I'm pretty sure it's 2017 spec.

Thanks for the info,
Mick
barrywind

Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:45 pm

Re: Launch videos
Thanks for re-posting those videos. My only comment is why not setup the kite with the lines off to the side in the first place. Less walking means the leading edge deosn't grind on the ground and much less chance of nicking or catching a line on something.

Re: Bill
He can be directly contacted at:
hansenaerosports@gmail.com

kite*hawk wrote:Love to see you posting on the forum Bill. Not sure if you are allowed to chime in on why you left Switch or whats in store for Hansen Areosports but either way I wish you the best of luck!

Here is the old post with launching method. Super light wind so gonna try and remember to film technique in higher wind.

So here are 2 short videos displaying the technique I described. I have had zero issues since I started using this method. Might not look as cool as a hot launch but it is 100% safe. Notice in the beginning of the vid how he checks his lines by raising both back lines to make sure no tangles. Also notice how he holds the chicken loop instead of hooking in...snip...
https://goo.gl/photos/2ojXXbMmJz8BVhjBA
https://goo.gl/photos/bqThbjkg5YSHrv198
kite*hawk
Thankfully I've only got one Switch kite in my quiver, a 15.5m Helium2. Send a PM if you want to buy it.
My Referral code = Sorry, No Longer a Pimp for Switch :(
-Barry
kite*hawk

Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:55 am

Hey Hey Your glasses are on.... :lol:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/488KOwMaQ34qfScf1
topmick

Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:15 am

Holding onto the upwind steering (back) line is a great idea, as that's the one that gets wrapped.
Thanks KH, I'll try that next time.
Juanjus

Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:14 pm

I had element v1 and v2 and I have never had this problem until I switched to v4.
I got in contact with Bil Hansen, whom I thank for his response and concern, who recommended me to cut out the small flange at the tip of the wing. I sent the kite to a workshop to do the modification and I still continue with this problem.
The only solution I have found is to add an ikea bag to my backpack, fill it with sand, attach it to the kite of my kite with a carabiner and place the kite resting on the end with the lines stretched tight. This way I have not had any problems when I just launched the kite.