Single Controller: which one should i buy?

General Discussions
peterbrown

Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:54 am

Stated that Switch suggest:
We recommend 46 cm size for kites 9 m and smaller and the 55 cm size for kites 10 m and larger.
Now, at the Moment I can affort the expense for only one controller and already have Element6 8mt and 12mt.

Which one should i buy?
Hefoer

Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:36 pm

I have a 9, 12 and 16 quiver. I use the 46cm bar for all of them. I think this works great. I currently ride a twintip. Dont do much unhooking but are planning to get into it.

The 46 cm bar is 46 cm from knot to knot but the bar itself is more like 51/52cm. The 55 cm is also about 5 to 6 cm wider from one bar end to the other, so if your okay with a big bar, go for the big one.

Anyway. For me, I think its better with the small bar. The kites turns quick enough.
If you unhooking, I believe the 46cm bar is a better choice.
For directionals, maybe someone else can comment on that.

Hope this helps :)
peterbrown

Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:29 am

Thank you for your answer. in fact I have left out important information, after several years of twin tip I have now switched to surfing, I will therefore mostly surf.
Does this change the choice?
Hefoer

Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:44 pm

I understand. I cant really comment on that because I have no experience with a kite and surfboard.

I hear people who ride directionals want the kite to be extra responsive, so they can quickly turn the kite in waves. But as I said, I have no experience on this! keep in mind, the big bar is about 60 cm in total! If your okay with that, go for it :)
I personally feel more comfortable with a smaller bar. I feel its a bit clumsy with such a big stick in front of me if that makes any sense.

Since you have been riding a directional, maybe you should choose the bar size that comes closest to the one you previosly had/owned.

Kind regards
Henrik
jakoblondal

Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:06 am

My lineup right now is: 7 - 9 - 12 - 16
I have the 55cm bar, I really like the larger bar, and I think its just a question of what you are use to, i always had a smaller bar before I switched.
I also like the larger bar as the 7 + 9m gets really responsive and fast.

Even when I have the large bar, my hands are 90% of the time in the middle, right next to the center lines.

Its hard to say, what you would like, maybe you could try to make a stick at 46 and one at 55 to see what you maybe like?
Faxie

Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:20 pm

Imo, it's better to have a bit extra turning potential and ride a bit less agressive when it's going too fast, than needing to turn the kite a bit faster in some situations and not having the bar leverage for it.

I switch to 46 from 7 and down, but riding the 7 with 55 isn't a big deal really.