Helium 4 wishlist

General Discussions
JeromeD

Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:46 pm

I’ve had 3 weeks at South Padre (in May) with my H3’s and I’ve been out 5 days at the Event Site in Hood River now. Both sites tend to have very up and down wind. A couple of times I’ve had both my H3 7m & 9m kites back down to the water in lulls making it a pain to get it relaunched, and not always successfully. At the same time I’ve seen other 5m and 7m kites continue to fly with no problem. So my biggest wish is to improve the Helium’s ability to fly in really lite wind. I’m not looking for more pull at the low end (though that would be nice), I’m looking for the ability for the kite to continue flying during lulls.
Switch Element v6 5m
Switch Helium v3 7m, 9m, 12m
Jerome D
felix

Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:26 pm

Hello Jerome.
This a very though one.
The gorge is classic place where a kite 5m from you might be in a complete different wind zone as its gusty turbulent and in a complete different line of wind. Others might be use to the wind and know how to get around it and it might not be as bad where they are so comparing things like this in such a place is very hard to do. I personally can tell you from my experience. I have had my kite continue flying and others drop out of the sky floating in a non wind zone. Sometimes I would be lit and other riders not moving. These are joys of the gorge.
Regarding the H3 . This to me sounds like calibration could have something to do with it a huge variants in wind.
I personally have flown these kites in some really gusty conditions and have managed . I did have to pay attention to the ups and down of the wind like with every kite on the market .
Hope this helps a little.
GWS

Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:58 am

I have been amazed at the relaunch of my Helium 2 15.5 and the Helium 3 12m. In conditions where I thought relaunch was not possible they almost automatically self-relaunched.

About the only gripe I have about the Helium 3 is the yellow leading edge. The yellow gets stained really easily from any dirt or grass or even grubby sand. The black leading edge and grey tips on the Helium 2 (and the older Elements) hides the dirt and stains.

My other wish would be for a high performance foiling kite. Something that would approach foil kite performance but inflatable and without the insane foil kite price.
dtmt

Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:16 pm

Make them with Aluula. Sounds like this stuff is amazing, hope it's available industry-wide. Or similar tech.
kite*hawk

Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:46 pm

A little longer throw on the bar. The sweet spot on the Helium 3 is pretty small. This causes what people have discribed as "flap to stick." I have gotten use to it and it can have its advantages. The sweet spot on the E6 is longer and sweeter than the H3. Not sure if you could steal some DNA from the E6 for the H4.
Team Rider -Brand Ambassador-Todd Robinson
Current Quiver-7,10,12M V3 Heliums
Exile Domke Double Dagger Carbon Pro Model
Tomo Sci fi 5-8"
Firewire Hellfire 5-6" custom snub nose
GWS

Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:46 am

What is "flap to stick"?
kite*hawk

Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:22 pm

flaps when overdepowered-stick=power. so the range between power and no power on the bar throw is small. where as this range on the element is large.
Team Rider -Brand Ambassador-Todd Robinson
Current Quiver-7,10,12M V3 Heliums
Exile Domke Double Dagger Carbon Pro Model
Tomo Sci fi 5-8"
Firewire Hellfire 5-6" custom snub nose
GWS

Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:08 am

My experience is different. I get about 8 knots to 20+ from a H3 12m using a bar with 45cm of depower and 45cm of trim. I often use about 30cm of trim and rig the kite slightly oversheeted. I added two more knots higher up on the rear pigtails.