Best Helium 3 size for light wind relaunch?

General Discussions
JeromeD

Fri May 17, 2019 11:47 pm

I own a 7m, 9m, 12m Helium 3's that I use for foilboarding The 9m has been my go to kite. However three times I've had the kite go down and not be able to relaunch (and not for lack of trying), having to do a self rescue. Note other kite brands were also having trouble relaunching at the time. The wind is so light that I can't get the kite to back fly (by pulling on the two outside/back lines at the same time) and therefore break the surface tension with the leading edge.

So my question is, in sub-par winds, what size kite will have the best relaunch capabilities? Seems like it should be a force generated / weight thing. I've assumed the 7m therefore would be easier to relaunch and progressively get harder to the 12m. As I really don't want to spend the time in shallow water testing this, I'm hoping maybe somebody else has, particularly someone at Switch.
Switch Element v6 5m
Switch Helium v3 7m, 9m, 12m
Jerome D
kite*hawk

Fri May 31, 2019 12:50 pm

I' ve got a simular quiver with 10m instead of 9m. For sure the 7M will launch the easiest for reasons you described. Although no kite will relaunch if the wind is too light. Here are some tips I use when riding in marginal wind.
Always keep tension in your lines and save the kite at all costs. If the kite starts to fall out of the sky ride as hard as you can away from it to regain line tension. If it falls to the water swim away from the kite to regain line tension and pull on the side that seems most likely to relaunch. Also swim backwards diagnoally and pull the opposite side of the bar. Even with all these tricks your still gonna swim from time to time when riding marginal light winds. Stay close to shore and know when to call the session when wind gets wierd. Hope this helps a little...
Team Rider -Brand Ambassador-Todd Robinson
Current Quiver-7,10,12M V3 Heliums
Exile Domke Double Dagger Carbon Pro Model
Tomo Sci fi 5-8"
Firewire Hellfire 5-6" custom snub nose
JeromeD

Fri May 31, 2019 4:20 pm

kite*hawk wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 12:50 pm
I' ve got a simular quiver with 10m instead of 9m. For sure the 7M will launch the easiest for reasons you described. Although no kite will relaunch if the wind is too light. Here are some tips I use when riding in marginal wind.
Always keep tension in your lines and save the kite at all costs. If the kite starts to fall out of the sky ride as hard as you can away from it to regain line tension. If it falls to the water swim away from the kite to regain line tension and pull on the side that seems most likely to relaunch. Also swim backwards diagnoally and pull the opposite side of the bar. Even with all these tricks your still gonna swim from time to time when riding marginal light winds. Stay close to shore and know when to call the session when wind gets wierd. Hope this helps a little...
Thanks for the feedback.

I've also read about a technique I've never used which is to pull on an outside / back line and the opposite front / inside line at the same time to get the kite to stand up on edge.

The other thing I would recommend is to always get your foilboard first and then either straddle it, stand on the foil, or leash the board to you while trying to re-launch the kite. I lost my board in the bay at South Padre Island when trying to relaunch and ignoring the board and only got it back when a fisherman found it the next day and called the number I had stenciled on the board.
Switch Element v6 5m
Switch Helium v3 7m, 9m, 12m
Jerome D
jakoblondal

Fri May 31, 2019 8:35 pm

I use this on every kite (technic) works easy and is not giving any hard pull.

https://youtu.be/ueTEEkNjWYw