WTF Switch

General Discussions
Jan:)

Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:50 am

GWS wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:36 am
The customer has always had to pay taxes and duties. I have always structured my purchases to stay under the limit. How could it be any other way?
That is not entirely true.
Up to 2018 Switch had a warehouse in the UK, so all deliveries within the EU were free of customs/taxes.
For a period of time after closing the warehouse, Switch paid for all taxes/customs when ordering from the EU.
That is the courier did the imoprt/customs procedure and Switch paid for all costs/taxes/duties.

I guess both services were too expensive to maintain and now you have to deal with and pay for the whole import process yourself.
Unfortunately the "limit" for importing at no additional costs to the EU is EUR 22, so that is useless here.
But at the moment they changed the process, I checked the prices and the end result was actually a bit lower than the EU-prices before.

At this point it is impossible to compare as the USD/EUR rate changed and the new models got more expensive anyway.

I guess the way it was handled before was just more friendly for the customer and I could see this hurting sales in the EU.

Prices seem still pretty good - for example your Nitro 7 12m² to Germany should be:
EUR 710,- + 2.7% customs + 19% VAT = EUR 867,71

A Duotone Dice 2020 in 12m² is EUR 1669,- before any rebates.
So even if you manage to get it down 25%, that would be EUR 1251,75.
switchparos

Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:56 am

Jan:) wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:50 am
I guess the way it was handled before was just more friendly for the customer and I could see this hurting sales in the EU.

Prices seem still pretty good - for example your Nitro 7 12m² to Germany should be:
EUR 710,- + 2.7% customs + 19% VAT = EUR 867,71

A Duotone Dice 2020 in 12m² is EUR 1669,- before any rebates.
So even if you manage to get it down 25%, that would be EUR 1251,75.
You forgot to add the fee of the custom broker. And if they send it with a courier as fedex, it will be expensive. So the previous way was a lot friendlier to the customer. I think in Europe the sales of Switch have already fallen because all of the above uncertainties involved in the transaction.
Jan:)

Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:57 am

switchparos wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:56 am
You forgot to add the fee of the custom broker.
In Germany, the cost is EUR 6,- if you let DHL handle the customs process or EUR 0,- if you do it yourself.
(Obviously this could change - guess it is a good idea to check with Switch before, to find out which carrier they are using).
Considering I regularly drive by the customs office, I usually save the EUR 6,-.

Should not be very hard to find out the cost for your country.
Same goes for VAT, 19% is for Germany, but google should be helpful to find out the rate for your country.
cathiss38

Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:31 pm

dtmt wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:19 pm
Speaking strictly from a business owner's perspective, I don't think they are marketing to those of us who are loyal customers. It's not necessarily right but I suspect a way to try & lure in new customers Rachat de crédit meilleurs taux. I also suspect that import taxes in some places are eating their net profit in the ass. They simply can't sell products at a loss or there's no more Switch.

Ultimately it boils down to 2 things. Enhancing the customer base & cost of sales. Maybe if we help spread the stoke still & more product gets sold their net improves and ultimately a better company for us as well?
However, you have to build customer loyalty and find new ones. It is the law of the market.
Damian

Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:48 pm

It's just too much hassle. personally I decided not to upgrade to N7. I can get 7m switchblade on sale for £800, free deliver I know exactly how much will it cost and I can sell it if I want to upgrade.

I think this was a very bad move from switch.