WTF Switch

General Discussions
snice1

Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:57 pm

Dear Switch,

As a loyal supporter of you and user of your products over the last 5 years I'm a little confused as to what is happening in a company that I admired for their ability to provide good quality kite surf equipment at a reasonable price to its customer base. Backed up with what was insanely good customer service (in my experience) and it was win win.

What has happened to you, is your marketing team taking some perception altering drugs? Previously you were a straight forward company to deal with, but unfortunately that perception has changed.

Upping the price of your equipment then putting on a fake 40% off sale to bring them back in line with your old prices is the ultimate insult to the intelligence of your customer. I'm not sure you could treat your base with more contempt. Add to that the fact that the buyer is now responsible for the import taxes, other costs and inconvenience of having to bring equipment in, which apparently saves money for the customer (I've done the maths the total cost is higher) and you really are taking us all for a bunch of mugs.

Switch maybe it's time to have a long hard look at yourself and realise that who ever is driving this change may ultimately be responsible for driving your support away. I've always enjoyed using your gear and it's been great to see the evolution of your product line, but please don't treat us as idiots as we may soon become ex-Swtich users.

Regards,

Simon
djbear33k

Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:09 am

Agreed, 100%
MAC

Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:34 pm

Also agree 100% this is nonsense...
dtmt

Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:19 pm

Speaking strictly from a business owner's perspective, I don't think they are marketing to those of us who are loyal customers. It's not necessarily right but I suspect a way to try & lure in new customers. I also suspect that import taxes in some places are eating their net profit in the ass. They simply can't sell products at a loss or there's no more Switch.

Ultimately it boils down to 2 things. Enhancing the customer base & cost of sales. Maybe if we help spread the stoke still & more product gets sold their net improves and ultimately a better company for us as well?
Faxie

Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:26 pm

Yeah well....we did that for years already....
fluidity

Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:42 am

Agreed.
Expecting the customer to believe obvious lies about pricing changes is like a big shout out to customers: "Hey stupid! we are giving you more awesomer deals"
This sort of selling only works short term for people you don't know and hope never to see again. Switch management needs to assess whether that truly equates to long term customers. Right now, switch pricing is kind of ok (but not less than historically) if you ignore the GST that will be charged on arrival (and the significantly increased wait times) And that's exactly what sales are doing.

Product: big tick.
Pricing: smaller tick.
redox

Thu May 02, 2019 6:14 pm

I bought my first Switch kite last December. For years I had been interested in the brand, but I had never seen one from up close and thus never had the opportunity to try one. I change my gear every year and last season I decided to blindly give Switch a try and bought a 16m Helium along with other brands kites.

I loved every aspect of the Helium, and when I saw Marc Jacobs with the Nitro at KOTA I decided that I’m going to buy a quiver of Nitros this year. Or at least I thought so, until I saw the new pricing which is narrowly close to other brands. For me and I think most of us, the advantage with Switch is getting a good quality product for a reasonable price.

Also for me, it’s also quite a struggle to get a kite from Switch. See, I live in Mexico, and if I buy direct, I’ll risk the package getting lost in the mail, or Customs arbitrarily adding a ridiculous amount of tax to it… So if I want a Switch product, I “have to” ship it to the US and then either travel to pick it up, or ask a friend to bring it down.

This doesn’t happen with other brands, because I’d buy through local representatives who’d do all the work for me and sell me a brand-new current model kite for a similar price as the new Switch prices, so the advantage is lost. Also, although Switch makes great quality products, there are some brands that do use better materials and the price gap is not that big now.

I really hope Switch reconsiders this, because I see the brand as a “people’s” brand. The ONE who is doing great kites and fair business with its customers, I hope this doesn’t change.
Donniehall14

Thu May 02, 2019 11:11 pm

redox wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 6:14 pm
I bought my first Switch kite last December. For years I had been interested in the brand, but I had never seen one from up close and thus never had the opportunity to try one. I change my gear every year and last season I decided to blindly give Switch a try and bought a 16m Helium along with other brands kites.

I loved every aspect of the Helium, and when I saw Marc Jacobs with the Nitro at KOTA I decided that I’m going to buy a quiver of Nitros this year. Or at least I thought so, until I saw the new pricing which is narrowly close to other brands. For me and I think most of us, the advantage with Switch is getting a good quality product for a reasonable price.

Also for me, it’s also quite a struggle to get a kite from Switch. See, I live in Mexico, and if I buy direct, I’ll risk the package getting lost in the mail, or Customs arbitrarily adding a ridiculous amount of tax to it… So if I want a Switch product, I “have to” ship it to the US and then either travel to pick it up, or ask a friend to bring it down.

This doesn’t happen with other brands, because I’d buy through local representatives who’d do all the work for me and sell me a brand-new current model kite for a similar price as the new Switch prices, so the advantage is lost. Also, although Switch makes great quality products, there are some brands that do use better materials and the price gap is not that big now.

I really hope Switch reconsiders this, because I see the brand as a “people’s” brand. The ONE who is doing great kites and fair business with its customers, I hope this doesn’t change.
Well said. I feel the same.
peterbrown

Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:33 am

In Europe - Italy, 35% of taxes have been applied, and this makes switchkites no longer competitive, at least in the European market.
An example: Nitro 12m in Europe costs € 710 + 35% = € 958 plus shipping costs $ 175.15 (€ 157) for a total of € 1115, which is absolutely NOT competitive.

I follow and buy switches since it appeared on the scene of this sport, when I had more time to be at sea I was also a Team Rider, I have always appreciated the policy of transparency and competitive prices (obligatory policy for those who sell exclusively online), but,

I'm sorry to have to admit it, Switchkites ends up here for me!
GWS

Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:36 am

I don't understand all the complaining. The prices are the same as they ever were. The 40-50% sale thing is a bit naff, but every other business does the same. I don't care. The prices are the same.

The customer has always had to pay taxes and duties. I have always structured my purchases to stay under the limit. How could it be any other way?

Not sure about the "declared value" thing. That seems like an enticement to make a false declaration. That's a bit dodgy.

I have always bought stuff with free shipping. Again, I just had to choose what combination of products I bought when. How could it be any other way?

As for customs and bad delivery, it's not the fault of Switch that your country has crap services. Blame your government or Donald Trump or your parents for being born wheverever you live.

I have two complaints about Switch. One is the obvious, after buying great kites from Switch for great prices, I find it hard to take other kite companies seriously. Second, it takes a bit too long for new products to appear. I am keen to see the new stuff so I can plan future purchases.