NZ GST

General Discussions
fluidity

Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:56 am

Hi all,
If you are used to checking if GST is included in the listed NZ price and being told that yes, it's is, please note that the issues other countries have with importing switchkites now apply to New Zealand too. The list price in NZD will no longer include the customs levy, you will have to pay an additional 15% and have a shipping delay while you sort this out for yourself.
This useful information has been provided me as a result of being personally caught out by changes which I wasn't aware of for NZ.
Happy switchkiting all at switchkite price + 15% or whatever your local customs charges!
Graham.
skw_admin
Site Admin

Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:18 am

Hi Graham, as you would have seen prior to checkout, Switch has changed the way we handle tax. Tax is no longer included in advertised prices and you will notice that all prices have been amended accordingly. In addition, we have passed on additional savings that result from no longer having to have agents that pay taxes on our customers behalf. The result is that it is now cheaper than it was previously to purchase our kites from countries that charge import tax. We advise all customers of these changes prior to check out and customers can not proceede with out acknowledging this.
djbear33k

Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:01 am

Another customer stung well done switch kites!

I got nailed on this too, switch wont pay tax to get a kite i returned to New zealand still stuck in customs (mine is still in customs 5 months later) but expects you to pay massive tax bills. They also don't put packages grouped so you have to pay twice for a bar and kite rather than one payment.

Like i said in my post don't buy a switch kite
fluidity

Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:48 pm

Sk_admin,
I have to disagree with the positive spin you are attempting to put on this. The price a customer pays is not the price on your website but the price on your Web site plus customs levvys and handling fees and additional time the customer spends to complete these tasks. While the changes have made it simpler for switchkites, it's is at the cost of passing on all those awkward bits out of the hands of experts and on to the customer.
So no, I don't agree it's cheaper or more beneficial to the customer. It simply looks like a reasonable kite price, but we now have to factor in the overheads and handling ourselves.
We also now have significant delays in delivery compared with before.
skw_admin
Site Admin

Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:18 am

fluidity, although the process of getting product to your door does indeed have an extra step in it, it truly is cheaper for customers to obtain our products now. Prior to the change, we shipped using a DDP (Deliver Duty Paid) courier service where there is a substantial fee for handling tax/duty payments on behalf of the customer. As with all costs, this affected the price point of our products. After being notified that there was to yet another price rise for the DDP service, we elected to change the way we handled these transactions. The vast majority of global online retailers leave the handling of import taxes outside the country of origin, to the customer. Not having the requirement for a DDP service has also allowed us to use a more cost effective shipping service. ALL of the saving that have been made in this process have been handed on to our customers and are reflected in the current pricing. Even factoring in any taxes/duty/fees that you may have to pay in customs, it is now cheaper to purchase our products.
ColdWater

Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:13 am

skw_admin wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:18 am
...it truly is cheaper for customers to obtain our products now.
No it is not.

In 2016 i bought a 14m² Nitro5 (actual model that time) for 884,- Euro.

Now i can buy a 12m² Nitro 7 for 780,- Euro plus 173,- Euro Customs and Taxes to Germany. That makes 953,- Euro (cant calculate for 14m² because its sold out).

Nowadays for me Switch is not an attractive brand anymore, even not from the price perspective.
islandson

Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:54 pm

Just picked up my new Nitro 6 10m in the closeout sale. With the US exchange came out to just over $700 Canadian. I was fully aware I might have to pay duty at the border when I picked it up. Thanks Switch for keeping new kites affordable. Even with the new prices , you put out an excellent product that is still cheaper than most brands available to me in my area.
2surf

Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:48 pm

ColdWater wrote:
No it is not.
2016?!? Can you point to any kite retailer that is selling kites cheaper than they were in 2016???
Corpus Christi, TX USA
Nitro3 6m, 14m | Nitro5 8m, 12m | Legacy 10m
ColdWater

Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:46 am

2surf wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:48 pm
ColdWater wrote:
No it is not.
2016?!? Can you point to any kite retailer that is selling kites cheaper than they were in 2016???
No, but i think you can calculate the increase in price by yourself. On top of that it´s not even the same Kitesize.
snice1

Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:06 am

Switch, I'm thinking that the move of making the customer pay for local taxes may be a nail in your coffin. Less than a year ago I purchased an Element 6 for NZD$1058. Cost today (with the 40% fake sale) is NZD$986.03, add in the import duty $256.65 and the price is considerably higher, with the added inconvenience of handling the import administration.
It seems to me that Switch is treating it's customers with a certain level of contempt.