Strut Wrinkles

General Discussions
GWS

Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:21 am

The older Elements have wrinkles across the strut fabric, usually at the first seem back from the leading edge and about half way down the strut. They're usually only visible when the kite is sitting nose down on the ground.

I have had kites (from other manufacturers) where those winkles cause fatigue points and the fabric can split. It's something I would like to avoid if possible.

Can anyone tell me if the newer Switch kites have any winkles in the struts? I am particularly interested in the Element 6 and Nitro 7.
Faxie

Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:41 pm

GWS wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:21 am
The older Elements have wrinkles across the strut fabric, usually at the first seem back from the leading edge and about half way down the strut. They're usually only visible when the kite is sitting nose down on the ground.

I have had kites (from other manufacturers) where those winkles cause fatigue points and the fabric can split. It's something I would like to avoid if possible.

Can anyone tell me if the newer Switch kites have any winkles in the struts? I am particularly interested in the Element 6 and Nitro 7.
That was a problem with the first batches of ElementV3 where a lighter dacron was used for the struts. Newer batch had heavier dacron again. I had one (13m) replaced under warranty, and another one (9m) fixed under warranty. The fixed one suffered the same problem again after a long time, the 13 still stands strong.

The new models have webbing along the entire length, much like Naish for instance. Shouldn't be a problem, though I think the double seam construction from the E4-5, N5-6, L1-2 is better. North/FOne/Core for instance use something similar.