Why you shouldn't buy a switch kite anymore

General Discussions
djbear33k

Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:54 pm

[Admin Edit: Competitors advertisement removed. Please note that the Switch bar currently sells for the equivalent of £286. With taxes/duty in Europe running at 20-22% the landed cost should be approx £350]

This is when you realise that you could buy a Duotone kitebar (one of the best in the industry) for less money even with switches discounts they gave me ( around £450 for a kite bar). The switch kite bar is inferior to the Duotone one and costs more! and i can customise how i would want the bar with duotone. Would have ordered one of those had i known
Jan:)

Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:14 pm

Leewilco wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:39 am
How much can I expect to pay for a 12m nitro 7 with bar delivered to the UK. A delivered price, not a consult your tax department to find out the additional charges. I’m too lazy 😂
It should be 2.7% customs and 20% import vat - so about 23.24%.

Faxie wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:19 pm
Yet somehow the kites costed less, with inhouse development and more employees. I don't know what's up with the current 'sale', but without that sale, the prices are up there with regular shop prices. Not really sure where the advantage is now...
Guess that "sale" is just a website glitch.
Aside from that - current prices are not really higher than before.

2 years ago the Element 5 in 7m² was EUR 710,-.
Current Helium 3 in 7m² is EUR 721,06 including customs and taxes to Germany.

That's 1.5% price increase in two years.

djbear33k wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:21 am
I called the customs office today and i am to pay wait for it drum roll

£146.99 for one package

and

£161.99 for the other!!
You should be able to sort that out with the customs office.
Those numbers would value your packages at £632 and £697.

In Germany it is easy to deal with situations like this.
You simply provide them with the actual proof of payment for the items and they will sort it out.
Faxie

Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:51 pm

Without the sale 868,- , with 770,-

Strange glitch if it gives a base price...
djbear33k

Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:23 pm

Sorry Jan

Its not simple as i would expect!

Having contacted customs and they say i have two options as you incorrectly put on the shipping details the incorrect information so i am to be charged twice or wait even longer to get my equipment which kind of happens anyway. ( is this error in the terms and conditions also? what else did i agree to in your terms and conditions, i don't think agreed to take it from behind but i am certainly feeling sore).

I can either reject the items and send them back to you and you can correct the customs and shipping information as it should be and send them back to me again.

I can pay the customs duty for both and then apply for a refund due to your mess up again. I have allot of things to do in order to complete a purchase, hope this evenings food shop doesn't take as long and i have more to pay as i leave the shop. In this scenario i have to do without my money for the month! while i wait 30 days for the refund to happen.

More hoops not kiteloops to jump through to buy a switch kite!

Is this beyond a joke?

Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:20 pm

Not sure what makes you think I speak for Switchkites in this matter - because I am not.

If Switchkites put wrong customs and shipping information on the packages, they really should help you out.
djbear33k

Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:48 pm

Jan:) wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:20 pm
Not sure what makes you think I speak for Switchkites in this matter - because I am not.

If Switchkites put wrong customs and shipping information on the packages, they really should help you out.
Sorry Jan thought you were part of the establishment, you provided information which i have not had from switch for the best part.

Have to admit Switch your being very cheeky when you say, i should just pay the tax on my orders you ship to me but i sent back the Nitro and poncho to you in New Zealand you wont pay the tax on it either. Double standards!!! Hurts don't it. :lol:

Felix i got sent the poncho which i didn't even want and i sent it back and got charged for it. Why you think you have a right to charge me for it is beyond me.

You should have warned me not to put such a high price on the item when i sent it back not my fault you didn't inform me of this.
2surf

Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:07 pm

Faxie wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:53 pm
For a kite that you didn't even develop. I wouldn't call that cheap. You can buy a brand new kite at a local dealer for that price...
I am not sure how this is relevant... Even if Switch did not develop this kite, someone certainly did and the cost of development is surely built in? I have seen comparisons with IKON kites and there is no denying that they look very similar but I have not seen any side by side comparison. Has there been any confirmation that Switch are using an exact copy? I have had 5 Switch kites in the past and have had good value for money. I am getting to the point where I need to replace my current kites and still see Switch as a potential option....
Corpus Christi, TX USA
Nitro3 6m, 14m | Nitro5 8m, 12m | Legacy 10m
Faxie

Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:17 am

2surf wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:07 pm
Faxie wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:53 pm
For a kite that you didn't even develop. I wouldn't call that cheap. You can buy a brand new kite at a local dealer for that price...
I am not sure how this is relevant... Even if Switch did not develop this kite, someone certainly did and the cost of development is surely built in? I have seen comparisons with IKON kites and there is no denying that they look very similar but I have not seen any side by side comparison. Has there been any confirmation that Switch are using an exact copy? I have had 5 Switch kites in the past and have had good value for money. I am getting to the point where I need to replace my current kites and still see Switch as a potential option....
The other brands payed for the development costs ofcourse. But maybe the deal Switch got for using their designs wasn't that great, who knows. Shame they have become completely untransparant about the developments and design details. That was one of the great things about Switch for me. But no, because of that no confirmation if they're -exact- copies, and as far I know no-one compared the models directly yet. But 5 designs (including monostrut) and 5 similarities is no coincidence ofcourse. Btw, I flown the E6 and it's a good kite, don't get me wrong. Switch won't be putting out bad performing kites.
Windmaster

Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:13 am

What a bunch of whingers... I have had much, much worse from a couple of different kite brands but it would take more than anything I have seen here to write one off completely... No one brand/shop is ever going to keep everyone happy all of the time. On the whole Switch has been pretty good to me. I have had to go through both the '30 day return' and AND the new pay your own tax process. The return of the new kite wasn't quite pain free but I am thankful that I am not left with a brand new but used kite that did not suit me. It cost me a bit of time and money but in the end I still have all of my kites but one Switch and I will still look at them for my next purchase. Shipping this stuff around the world is not cheap and if you want to run on low margins then I can't see how they can do it any different. The tax issue seems to be a no brainier - anyone who lives in a country that charges import tax who purchases off the internet these days simply expects it. Stop whining.

Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:50 am

Faxie wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:17 am
For a kite that you didn't even develop. I wouldn't call that cheap.
The other brands payed for the development costs ofcourse.
But maybe the deal Switch got for using their designs wasn't that great, who knows.
What makes you think the current designer for Switchkites got a bad deal?
And really, why should we as customers care - it is seriously not my business.

I cannot comment on the kites being the same as those from Storm Kitesurfing/IKON.
They look similar, but sizes and details are different.

But even if they are the base for current Switchkites models - honestly I have no idea why you keep bringing this up.
Some emotional attachment to Bill Hansen?

Bill Hansen always made it clear, how he was a private contractor, not a switch employee.
When he teamed up with Switch, he obviously brought in his own designs.

How was this different to the current situation?

It is exactly the same process, just another person doing it.