Why you shouldn't buy a switch kite anymore

General Discussions
djbear33k

Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:02 pm

This is my story of a long order for a kite i started in October of last year (2018) and is still yet to be completed 23/02/2018. Quite frankly this is some of the worst customer service i have ever experienced and to be honest has no recovery for me as a customer.

So i ordered a 9m Nitro 6 + new bar in October of last knowing i am safe after buy several Switch kites before (3 x Nitro 4 and 3 x legacy kites 3 bars 1 x element kite and numerous spare parts) little did i know switch is not the same company i ordered with before. The kite arrived no problems and the bar i ordered was fine. However i didnt like the Nitro 6 and didn't behave the way i wanted so i thought i would take up the 30 day no problem return and change it for the krypto on a refund. I asked for a return address and was told to send it to New Zealand from the UK. This was very costly £90 to ship this is only the beginning of my problems. I got a free Poncho with it and i really didnt like it made of the worst material ever so i returned it thinking i didnt want to pay for it as it was free. I shipped it got to New zealand and it has stayed there to this very day in CUSTOMS! 5 months later!!!!!. Switch acknowledged that i shouldn't have had to send it to New Zealand and it should have been sent elsewhere so their mess up. They held my money ransom for 4 months and refused to refund me and charged me for the "Free" Poncho as they have realised it will cost them to take it out of customs aroudn £300/£400 and dont want to pay it. Switch put me in a very difficult position financially and wouldn't refund me for ages until they finally met defeat and refunded me the kite not the poncho! It was a goodwill offer they said which i think is just ridiculous. I still have not had a refund for the poncho to this very day. I talked to them and explained i am happy to let it go and i felt i should be compensated they agreed and gave me a 15% voucher which i nice of them but not enough. Charging me £90 for posting it to the wrong place and then not refunding me the poncho another £50 i am out £140 for their mess up and get 15% off another kite which barely covers the cost of what i have lost. Now i ordered a krypto thinking it would all be ok and i really like switch kites and its ethos and wouldn't let my experience prevent me buying kites and low and behold i have to part with more money if i want it to cover customs. How you find this out is not from switch and it has to be sorted out by yourselves, nothing to do with us attitude. So when looking at prices online you will pay more than what is listed it comes from Hong Kong and could be sent back to New Zealand where you could wait an eternity and be stuck in the same situation i am. The 30 day return is no longer safe and its problem after problem after problem. I wouldn't buy another switch kite now regardless of its performance all these problems make it too risky and complicated. Switch has been unclear had poor communication throughout this transaction made it stressful and difficult to resolve. They now show in Euros which converts to USD then charges me in Pounds still convoluted way to do things. It a shame as i have promoted switch with friends ( who i now wish i hadn't )now i will say don't touch them if you want to get your goods and not lose money.

I will move to another brand now even tho it will cost more at least i get my goods for what i see online i wont get shipping or return issues, poor communication and ultimately have to miss kite sessions as i don't have a kite!

My Customs tracking is attached and this screenshot was taken today i doubt it will ever be fixed.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (36.73 KiB) Viewed 1148 times
Faxie

Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:45 pm

Well...it's explained on the site that you possibly have to pay taxes, and the prices are without taxes. Shame it's not on the product page though...
felix

Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:49 am

When you are buying a kite into Europe you will now get a box that comes up with an acknowledgment regarding customs and taxes. See Attached.

This needs to be acknowledged before proceeding to payment options. By ticking the box.

This is pretty straight forward and believe many other online sites around the world do the same thing .

Always advised to read the fine print.
Attachments
52439594_408269229908349_4366698829005717504_n.png
52439594_408269229908349_4366698829005717504_n.png (49.74 KiB) Viewed 1122 times
Jan:)

Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:21 am

Not sure I got everything right.

So first issue is the shipping costs for returning the item?
I agree the fact that you have to pay the return charges, makes returning items less appealing.
But this policy has been in place since the first day they implemented the return guarantee and it is written clearly on the "Guarantee" page.
Not even in the small print, but directly under returns.

Second issue is not refunding the poncho? £50?
I understand you got a 15% voucher, which you used to buy a Krypto.
On the cheapest size Krypto, this is EUR 98 or about £86 at current exchange rate.
How is this not fair for you?

Thrid issue is you having to pay customs now?
I agree this is less comfortable than before, but the baseprices have been lowered to reflect this (i think?).
As felix wrote before, this is communicated open on the website.
skw_admin
Site Admin

Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:58 pm

Due to the increasing cost of delivering products with taxes/duty pre-paid, Switch decided that our customers would be better served if we left that part of the process to them. All prices now exclude taxes. In addition, due to reduced costs from not having agents to pay taxes/duty on our customers behalf, we were able to further reduce prices in Europe and New Zealand. It is now cheaper to purchase our products in these countries compared to before, with the down side being the delay in dealing with local customs. Customers in affected regions now can not check out without confirming that they understand the situation with taxes and that there may be additional costs. If the contact details on the order are correct, customs delays can be as short as a few hours but are typically a day or two. On rare occasions something goes awry at customs and there are further unexplained delays. This is the case for ALL shipments into a country and is not something peculiar to Switch. In the event that someone decides that they do not want to pay taxes on the order they placed, we are happy to refund they amount paid less the shipping costs, after we receive the goods back. In all cases, we try to act in a manner that is fair to the customer.
djbear33k

Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:40 am

I'm not sure why everyone is just focused on the tax issue.

Answer me this should it be this difficult to get a kite?

Answer me this how did i manage not to pay any tax on the nitro kite when it was shipped to me? Luck?

The difference in exchange rates, shipping of items, charged for items which i didnt want (poncho really horrible materials) and now tax ontop means i have overpaid for a Krypto kite and i still don't have it.

How long is too long to wait for a kite? 5 months to sort is insane! October to February thats more than a hiccup.

Today i have had to google search on how to pay this tax on the kite, i have contacted our customs tax office how i have called parcel force and contacted 17 track all are sending me in circles saying to contact either parcel force or customs office.

This is supposed to be an exciting process as i eagerly await my new kite like, its a nightmare that i am yet to wake up from.

All i got from switch was contact your local customs / parcel office. London is not local to me! i cant just pop in and sort it out.

I am sorry SKW_Admin i wouldn't risk returning the kite at this point i don't feel i would end up with anything other than more loss. I have to minimise my losses on this and i can't take the risks associated with buying from switch anymore. Its really not nice thinking you buy something and its a mystery as to how much you will pay or how long it will take to get to you and if you were to return it then it could take forever and be very difficult to resolve. I can't recall buying items and having to sort out getting it to me and knowing that i have more to pay on it to get it.

I don't mind a few bumps in the road when buying things but i think this is too many
Faxie

Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:53 pm

Cheaper?

Nitro7 9m is 801,- without the current 'sale' (what's up with that btw? ... )

Including taxes, that would be 1027,- plus 13,- for handling, that's 1040,- ! :shock:

For a kite that you didn't even develop. I wouldn't call that cheap. You can buy a brand new kite at a local dealer for that price...
djbear33k

Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:13 pm

To be fair my understanding is that switch didnt develop it either its basically a IKON kite. This side does not interest me if switch make a great product or improve it that is great how they got there is of no interest.

Again focusing on Tax i don't have issue about how much it cost provided it is upfront an apparent what you pay and what you will have to go through. Not to 5 months of waiting withholding my money and a load of errors from switch charging me for items i returned (poncho). The tax issue is more like icing on a cake at this point just feels like more money to put out on a long journey and get no kite (feels like it wont arrive) .

Faxie I think you missed out that it was a NITRO 6 not a 7 so i cant comment on how the Nitro 7 performs.
Nitro 7 looked fun in KOTA and mark could throw down some mean tricks (loved the innovation) but being grumpy in KOTA is becoming classic mark response.

Just think if you had been through all this would you be happy??
Faxie

Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:48 pm

djbear33k wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:13 pm
To be fair my understanding is that switch didnt develop it either its basically a IKON kite. This side does not interest me if switch make a great product or improve it that is great how they got there is of no interest.

Again focusing on Tax i don't have issue about how much it cost provided it is upfront an apparent what you pay and what you will have to go through. Not to 5 months of waiting withholding my money and a load of errors from switch charging me for items i returned (poncho). The tax issue is more like icing on a cake at this point just feels like more money to put out on a long journey and get no kite (feels like it wont arrive) .

Faxie I think you missed out that it was a NITRO 6 not a 7 so i cant comment on how the Nitro 7 performs.
Nitro 7 looked fun in KOTA and mark could throw down some mean tricks (loved the innovation) but being grumpy in KOTA is becoming classic mark response.

Just think if you had been through all this would you be happy??
I was just giving a price/tax example for one of their kites, in this case the newest Nitro7.
jakoblondal

Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:09 pm

Regarding tax:

I live in Denmark, we are one of the highest taxed countries, in the world, on everything!
(We do get a lot for free the other way with the high tax)

I check the window, where I am aware of I must pay tax, when I order, I declare the price on the item when ordering and that way I can calculate on my country's tax page, what my bill would be. EASY!

Example here in Denmark, our POST OFFICE charge 20£ just for handling the tax, in administrations fee... + whatever the official Tax/Vat office requires.

I live in a country that charges me from buying stuff outside of EU (Thanks EU).

This is and can never be Switchs problem where I live.. Switch can't calculate where every buyer lives.