Nitro 7?

General Discussions
jakoblondal

Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:57 pm

My hands on 9m Review.

Start out with the unboxing of this bad boy, it already come pre-packed in the new backpack! So I just got my pump and bar to the bag that has plenty of room and headed to the spot.

The kite is well made in terms of the feel of the material, construction, seams and fixtures as known from Switch. The Nitro7 is a nice, solid kite. It has the same from the previous kites, one big single pump air system, with clamps on each strut.

I grapped the kite right after I recived it and got to one of the local spots with wind around 20 – 30 knots, it is uselly gusty, and no surprise, gusty conditions.
First thing is that in such gusty conditions, many kites jumps around, I got that the Nitro7 is remarkably stable overhead, sure I could feel the gust, but I could put it at 12 and it just stayed, just flying trough the gusts, which makes it a lot easier to grab the board and actually walk out without being bounched around.

When hitting the water, right away I felt the fast controls, it dont take much to redirect the kite, I don’t have to do much with it as it produces power and acceleration very easy.

Comparing to the Nitro6 that have some hard grab, the Nitro7 has a lot smoother bite in the power transmission, everything’s smooth and calm at the bar, the Nitro7 dont need much to get going.

As a heavy rider, I always ride in semi to full power. In 20kn I had full power on riding the F/R 143 and had no problem going and jumping while not steering very hard, I am getting equal performance with a little less flying in the window than my Nitro6, the nitro6 needs more, and Element6, that need less, so its in between. Iin under 20kn I will go up to the 12m.

Hitting around 30kn I depowered around half way on the bar, and the Nitro7 does get a little slower, but it is still very fast, I personally like that a lot, compared to Element6, when the Nitro7 is half depower, it is as fast as the Element6 full powered. The Nitro7 is faster than the Nitro6 in any setting no doubt , but it is also easier to steer, it is fast, but fully controlled like the Element6!

Got out on the water and it was as gusty as on the beach, did not get that much pull at the bar and the kite dont seem to change it shape or reacting to it, so again, full controlled, handle gust way better than the Nitro6.

Generally I had a great time testing out the steerring and power, it is a powerfull kite, but the control is also upped and trim, it is very easy to get use to.

After testing the steering and power I got out and tried the boost and on a skale on 1-10. I will give it 10.... That simple...
Compared to the Nitro6 and Element6, where the Nitro6 makes a kick in the a** as hard as it can in 0 seconds and where the Element6 is more like a lifting feeling thats more soft. The Nitro7 is in between, if I want the kick as known from the Nitro6 I can get it, when flying the kite aggressive and hard, but I can also get the calm lift if i want, I just have to steer the kite more calm.

This is essential for me and my riding style and my "tricks" where I sometimes just go to score big or jump over stuff. It is so easy to choose if you want the calm lift or the hard kick. The Nitro7 also haves some good hangtime, im getting same hangtime as on the Element6, but more boost. I found that the Nitro7 needs less steering midt air than the Nitro6.

Compared to the Nitro6 that only had KICK "setting" and the Element6 that have calm lift "setting", this is my choice as rider on the Nitro7 and it is a very nice feeling to be in complete control of what I want and what time i want it.

The Nitro7 brings the in between what is nice for me (not saying everybody like it), but when I am doing other stuff then just boosting to the moon all day, I like the “lift of choice”.

I think this is the only kite that gives me that choice. For having fun trying all sorts of things the Nitro7 is great, dont think the Nitro7 is that good a freestyle kite though.

About the bar pressure, the pressure on the lightest setting (On the tips), is medium/hard. It is almost the same as on the Nitro6 and comparing to the Element6 it is a bit harder, again in between.

The Nitro7 has a small turning radius with gives a significant pull of power and with no pullys, it generates power like a C-Shape, hard and fast, it almost turns around it own tip, so the pull is instant and powerfull but quick, I think this I a great ability for a kite to have that small turning radius, I enjoy it, also when riding freeride to downloop the kite when changing direction.

If coming from the Element6 or Helium3, the Nitro7 does need a bit to get use to the fast steering , but if you are used to the Nitro6, the Nitro7 is no problem. Coming from the Element6 it took around 15 minutes to really get use to the kite, I have also been riding Nitro6 though so dont think 15 minutes is much for a new kite.
Essentially the Nitro7 gives a very constant feel and steering that I like my kite to do.

The Nitro7 fills, for me, the hole to get even more into airstyle / big air and it will surely help.

For others looking to get out and do more than just going back and forth and want to kick the big air and freeride into the next level, I think the Nitro7 is a good choice.
Very steady steering input means that anyone basiclly can use it and benefit from the easy performance.

Personal score:
Low end: 8 / Top end: 10 / Steering speed: 9 / Turning circle: 8 / Bar pressure: 6 / Water relaunch: 6 / Boost: 10 / Hang-time: 7 / Ease of use: 9

Any questions? Feel free to ask, I am using the gear 4-5 times a week, so already clocked som hours on the different lineups. :)
dtmt

Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:30 pm

Thanks Felix for your response. Great to hear the stoke is still there! BTW I never put down the kite but I did have reasons for questions based on N5 & N4 experience. I really appreciate the Switch business model but primarily the customer service & interactive feedback.

Thanks Jacob for your review. It sounds like you've primarily had your N7's out in totally lit-up conditions. I'd be curious to hear how the kite works & performs in lulls or the bottom 1/3rd of its range. That's where I was always experiencing difficulty with N-4&5. If I get 1 it would only be used in snow so the boosting & stability you describe sounds ideal. We kite uphill in light winds frequently, sometimes in deep powder, so a kites ability to stay aloft & relaunch when it's light has a huge bearing on it's appeal.
jakoblondal

Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:54 pm

dtmt wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:30 pm
Thanks Felix for your response. Great to hear the stoke is still there! BTW I never put down the kite but I did have reasons for questions based on N5 & N4 experience. I really appreciate the Switch business model but primarily the customer service & interactive feedback.

Thanks Jacob for your review. It sounds like you've primarily had your N7's out in totally lit-up conditions. I'd be curious to hear how the kite works & performs in lulls or the bottom 1/3rd of its range. That's where I was always experiencing difficulty with N-4&5. If I get 1 it would only be used in snow so the boosting & stability you describe sounds ideal. We kite uphill in light winds frequently, sometimes in deep powder, so a kites ability to stay aloft & relaunch when it's light has a huge bearing on it's appeal.
Hey DTMT.

I will have that in mind next time I get out and post my meaning.
But here in Denmark it is rare we have more gust than 5-7-10kn.

But I will hunt down the conditions to see it. I do think the bottom end is good as well.
fluidity

Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:11 am

dtmt,
if you look at the aspect ratio in the N7 specs its low like the old elements and even lower again for the smaller sizes. This helps turning and also gives low end power.
Faxie

Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:00 pm

fluidity wrote:
dtmt,
if you look at the aspect ratio in the N7 specs its low like the old elements and even lower again for the smaller sizes. This helps turning and also gives low end power.
Projected aspect is around 2,5 which is pretty high. Element was 1,6 if I'm not mistaken.

Aspect has little to do with turning and lowend...
fluidity

Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:29 am

Faxie wrote:
fluidity wrote:
dtmt,
Projected aspect is around 2,5 which is pretty high. Element was 1,6 if I'm not mistaken.

there's no figures for projected aspect ratio.
I completely disagree with your last line. A high aspect ratio means a wide and short front to back kite which will turn slower and need more speed to generate power for the same area. The tips have to traverse a greater distance to cover the same turn angle on a higher aspect ratio kite.
Faxie

Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:41 pm

fluidity wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:29 am
Faxie wrote:
fluidity wrote:
dtmt,

there's no figures for projected aspect ratio.
I completely disagree with your last line. A high aspect ratio means a wide and short front to back kite which will turn slower and need more speed to generate power for the same area. The tips have to traverse a greater distance to cover the same turn angle on a higher aspect ratio kite.
Then you are contradicting yourself. Projected aspect ratio can be easily calculated when you know the width and projected area. And it's high, 2.5. Yet it turns fast. C kites have high projected AR too, and they turn fast.

Its more about arc shape and wingtip area distribution plus towpoint locations.
Faxie

Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:01 pm

Btw, every current Switch kite has a pretty high projected AR

And you can calculate it by dividing projected width squared by projected area. No idea why its not given in the specsheet anymore...
GWS

Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:16 am

Anybody riding the Nitro 7 on a foil? What do you think of it? Looking at the Nitro 7 as an alternative to the Ozone Edge.
Gautiou

Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:23 am

There's no more 7m Nitro 7 ?