Helium 3

General Discussions
topmick

Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:23 pm

Hi Felix, what would the low end wind range be for an efficient foiler on a 10m H3 please. (Lightest wind you would foil with a 10)
felix

Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:12 pm

On a 10m I can easily go in 10 knots of wind being conservative.
This is on a Pretty fast wing that is not made for beginners.
70 kg rider.
Everyone is different depending on how they know to work your kite to get up and gliding.
Lot more skill involved in this respect than the kite.

How ever the key is the kite will stay in sky at these winds.

Regards
Felix
topmick

Thu May 03, 2018 1:08 am

I'm now seriously considering a 10m H3 to learn to foil on & light wind surf but already have an 8m (other brand), so 7m H3 is too close in size.
I believe the smaller E6,s are one strut, does anyone know the weight of the 5m & 6m Element 6 please & are they good for foiling in stronger wind ?
felix

Thu May 03, 2018 8:00 am

Don't have the weights of the smaller Elements that are one strut . But they have very light, Giving the size and only one strut. Weight is not an issue.
The smaller E6 kites are super good for the foil.
This is why we stopped the h3 at a 7m
If any one wants to go below a 7m h3 they can go for our one strut e6
Super simple and a great way to go.
Regards
Felix.
dtmt

Thu May 10, 2018 4:54 am

Thinking about an H3 for light wind surf riding. Ride a 5'1" FW Vader. Typically in cross-cross/on winds. Marginal to minimal current & smallish waves is typical for where I get to ride(OBX & other NC coast). Board is just right for me so I'm curious what size H3 I should consider....will a 10M work with the lighter construction in 13-18 knots?
felix

Thu May 10, 2018 7:58 am

185 pounds or less you will be golden on a 10m.
Regards
Felix.
jakoblondal

Thu May 10, 2018 5:40 pm

Helium3 Review!

Rider size and gear:
-140x43 Youri Zoon 2017 board.
-Helium3 16m 2018.
-Helmet, harness, impactvest and wetsuit.
-Rider Weight + gear wet: 101 kg.

Wind and conditions: 10-13kn.
NO TIDE ASSISTANCE, as the session is sat from 1900 - 2100 (TIDE is from 1200-1700, infromation from habour messure)

The H3 is one amazing light-wind kite in the size of 16m, never have I tryed riding in 10 knots on a TT and kept going! My setting are always factory set with 20 or 22m lines, today was 22m. The thing that caught me was that the Helium3 was so easy to launch, I must be honnest I was a little scared on my way to the spot knowing I was going out alone BUT!
I had help, so I did two self launch and landings and about 10 with help to test the ease of the "drag" for the person who holdes the kite. The kite is a little hard to turn around, but hello... Its 16m! :)

On the water, the Helium3 has very quick in respond, riding on the 55cm bar I had no problem steering the kite with ease getting that snappy feeling then turning and just riding.
When freeriding and jumping. The quickness WILL suprice you.

Getting out in 10-13 knots with a 16m you suspect the kite to fall out of the air, that is not the case with the H3! When you get it up there its just sits I tryed a lot of stupid things to get it to fall, running towards it and it just drift after you.. Plain and simple with no sound at all, wobbeling, collapsing or anything, just hanging there, ready to get on the water!

Bar pressure: The bar pressure on the lightest setting, is medium, you have no trouble holding it. The H3 gives you that real kite feeling.

Relaunch/Self-launch: This kite is easy to relaunch. Its between the Element6 and H2 (H2 is harder), For the size the kite is steady with no jumping up and down or turning over. Water start is as easy as a 9 or 12m kite i think, no problem at all, the kite turns smooth and go up like nothing have happend.

Drift: If you let go of the bar, the kite will follow the same dirrection or go up to 12. Didnt go to the edge of the window as I thought. When you got it, it keeps going. I am not a specific wave rider or foil rider, so cant say so much about it other what I mean about a kite that drifts.

Boost: On a skale on 1-10 (10 is boosting to the moon): I will give it a 6, Not saying that the kite do not boost, it sure does, for a big kite I managed to get 6 meters of air in 10-13 knots, thats pretty good for a big kite with a heavy rider, compared to the Helium2 it have much more smooth lift and LOT more hangtime, you know there the kite is and the hangtime is forever getting 4-5 seconds on such small jumps.
I really like how the Helium3 preform, its different from what you usally gets in just a big kite.

If you like to go out in like zero wind on a TT, get the H3 16m - NO DOUBT!

Ease of use: For riders who like a smooth ride and responsive steering, want to go out and enjoy an evening summer day on a TT and just want to have fun, this is the perfect kite, I think Switch did a really nice job with this Helium3.
From the H2 -> H3 there is a uge difference in riding, you can really feel the kite and have fun.

Video to show -> https://goo.gl/EQJhNZ
borist

Thu May 10, 2018 7:43 pm

jakoblondal wrote:Getting out in 10-13 knots with a 16m you suspect the kite to fall out of the air ...
Ehmmm....you're joking ....right?
jakoblondal

Thu May 10, 2018 9:22 pm

borist wrote:
jakoblondal wrote:Getting out in 10-13 knots with a 16m you suspect the kite to fall out of the air ...
Ehmmm.... No? -Dont know what you want me to answer, but have seen kites in 16m fall down in 10knots. Sorry
SimonP

Fri May 11, 2018 12:00 am

It depends upon how steady the wind is. Anything will fly in a steady 10 knot thermal sea breeze. If the wind is frontal or coming over a disturbed land mass then there are going to be lulls. Most kites will struggle if the lulls are less than 8 knots.

I have been using a 13m Element V1 for light wind foiling and it has been surprisingly successful. There is quite a bit of skill required to keep it flying in gusty light wind though so I am looking forward to a demo of the new Helium.