Helium 3

General Discussions
gtc

Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:03 pm

Hi all,
I am very interested in the H3 12m.
I was about to purchase the E6 12m but this new kite just makes the election harder. If the E6 had 3 struts and less pulleys the decision would be easier...

Maybe you can help me out deciding...

Weight: 71kg
Level: advanced (12 years exp)
Riding style (in light to medium wind conditions): 50% surf 50% twintip
Current kites: Wainman 7.5 and 9m

I will be using the new kite as my light wind tool. I don't want to kite in 10-12 kt, but it needs to perform well when the wind is between 14-18kt and I'm underpowered with my 9m. For me performing well means: responsive feeling, decent jumps and good upwind ability.

Two question for you, Felix, if you don't mind:
How would the H3 and E6 12m perform with 20m lines?
H3 12m weighs 3.2 Kg. What about the E6 weight?

Thanks in advance!
fluidity

Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:14 pm

gtc
I don't have experience of the H3 but look at the specifications tab on the kite now it's released.
Marked as very good on waves and freeride. Just good in the other areas.
Looks like the Element3 would loop and jump better but be heavier. There is a minor aspect ratio reduction shown on the small H3s which should loop even faster. Note also that there are 3 front and 2 back connections for lines to fine tune behaviour!
kite*hawk

Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:18 am

@ GTC-There is a compassion of the 2 kite on the Helium page. I think the biggest point is durability. If you take great care of your kites and don't abuse them Than maybe the H3. From your post i would say Element V6. I have a 12M V6 Element and it is a great light wind kite. I can ride my skimboard with it in 10mph (I'm 190lbs). Also the kite is awesome in the surf and jumps just as good if not better than the Nitro. It truly is the one kite that can do it all.
gtc

Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:10 am

kite*hawk wrote:@ GTC-There is a compassion of the 2 kite on the Helium page. I think the biggest point is durability. If you take great care of your kites and don't abuse them Than maybe the H3. From your post i would say Element V6. I have a 12M V6 Element and it is a great light wind kite. I can ride my skimboard with it in 10mph (I'm 190lbs). Also the kite is awesome in the surf and jumps just as good if not better than the Nitro. It truly is the one kite that can do it all.
Thanks for your response kite*hawk!
Do you know the weigh of the E6 12?
topmick

Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:50 am

10m H3 is 2.9kg, does anyone remember the weight of the 10m E5 please?
Also are there any pulleys on the H3??

@Felix, can you describe the different characteristics one might experience between the H3 & E5 in the waves please.
Lance

Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:53 pm

topmick wrote:10m H3 is 2.9kg, does anyone remember the weight of the 10m E5 please?
E5 10m was 3.4KG according to this post
Switch Design wrote:
Switch-Kite-Weights.jpg
Switch-Kite-Weights.jpg (83.83 KiB) Viewed 2154 times
Faxie

Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:31 pm

Funny that the new 18m is a tiny bit heavier, although construction looks lighter (no reinforcing on the LE closure as far as I can see from the pictures and movies)

Guess the canopy cloth makes the difference mostly then. No single ripstop Tejin anymore.
topmick

Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:48 am

Thanks for the info ^^^Lance.

@Felix, can you describe the different characteristics one might experience between the H3 & E5 in the waves please.

topmick
felix

Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:03 am

This might help a little a review from a Switch customer that posted on our site today ..

I've got the 8 and 10m H3, and have about an hour on each so far. I'm 162 lbs and ride a 5'1" vader in the waves (don't do twin tips, not into strapless jumping, and never tried foiling). Had Element 5's (9 and 11m) and before that Element 3's and both of those kites were total game-changers for me, making surfing with a kite so much better and more fun and allowing me to push my limits. Now, I can honestly say that if you like the way the E5 works in the waves, you will totally LOVE the H3 and Switch has come out with another world class wave kite. Comparing the E5 and H3, the H3 turns way quicker but still gives you good power through the turn (10m H3 turns about the same as 9m E5, but has about same power as my 11m E5). As far as drift, it seems to be better that the E5, and because it is so much lighter when I fumble a bit and the lines get slack, it just hangs there and doesn't want to drop at all. Then just flick the bar and its flying again down the line. Really the kite is just perfect for riding waves. To me, the bar feel is significantly lighter than the E5, and initially I needed to watch it more closely because it turns so fast, but after a few minutes, it just felt perfect. In fact when I jumped back on my 9m E5 for comparison it felt super heavy and slow, which blew my mind because I loved that kite and had previously thought the bar pressure was perfect. Now if you are one of those few people that likes a lot of bar pressure, you may want to change the bridle settings (I'm flying on factory settings so far), but for me the light bar feel just makes the kite feel so quick and nimble and just right. You can almost forget you have a kite in your hands, which is really the ultimate goal in my opinion! I probably should note that the build is far lighter than the typical bomb-proof Switch construction I'm used to, however the quality is still there as always. Time will tell how it holds up to being dropped in the surf and self-launch/land, etc. but I think the trade off for incredible performance is well worth it. Also a lot of the places I kite have some very fluky, lully wind at times and the E5 would sometimes struggle to stay in the air, whereas I know the H3 will hang there no problem. If you are experienced and take care of your stuff I don't think it will ever be an issue. This is a long review but I am just super excited about this kite and cant recommend it highly enough. For me, the H3 will help me get to the next level with surfing.
Jeff
GWS

Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:49 am

Just because I couldn't be stuffed trying to read the previous post:
I've got the 8 and 10m H3, and have about an hour on each so far.

I'm 162 lbs and ride a 5'1" vader in the waves (don't do twin tips, not into strapless jumping, and never tried foiling).

Had Element 5's (9 and 11m) and before that Element 3's and both of those kites were total game-changers for me, making surfing with a kite so much better and more fun and allowing me to push my limits.

Now, I can honestly say that if you like the way the E5 works in the waves, you will totally LOVE the H3 and Switch has come out with another world class wave kite.

Comparing the E5 and H3, the H3 turns way quicker but still gives you good power through the turn (10m H3 turns about the same as 9m E5, but has about same power as my 11m E5).

As far as drift, it seems to be better that the E5, and because it is so much lighter when I fumble a bit and the lines get slack, it just hangs there and doesn't want to drop at all.

Then just flick the bar and its flying again down the line.

Really the kite is just perfect for riding waves.

To me, the bar feel is significantly lighter than the E5, and initially I needed to watch it more closely because it turns so fast, but after a few minutes, it just felt perfect.

In fact when I jumped back on my 9m E5 for comparison it felt super heavy and slow, which blew my mind because I loved that kite and had previously thought the bar pressure was perfect.

Now if you are one of those few people that likes a lot of bar pressure, you may want to change the bridle settings (I'm flying on factory settings so far), but for me the light bar feel just makes the kite feel so quick and nimble and just right.

You can almost forget you have a kite in your hands, which is really the ultimate goal in my opinion! I probably should note that the build is far lighter than the typical bomb-proof Switch construction I'm used to, however the quality is still there as always.

Time will tell how it holds up to being dropped in the surf and self-launch/land, etc.

but I think the trade off for incredible performance is well worth it.

Also a lot of the places I kite have some very fluky, lully wind at times and the E5 would sometimes struggle to stay in the air, whereas I know the H3 will hang there no problem.

If you are experienced and take care of your stuff I don't think it will ever be an issue.

This is a long review but I am just super excited about this kite and cant recommend it highly enough.

For me, the H3 will help me get to the next level with surfing.