Controller 3 with Wainman Smoke

General Discussions
turquoise

Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:48 am

I have a Controller 3 bar, is it possible to use this on an older Wainman Smoke 9 m kite? The original bar has old lines but the kite is still good. Just wondering if they would be compatible. :?:
jakoblondal

Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:08 pm

turquoise wrote:I have a Controller 3 bar, is it possible to use this on an older Wainman Smoke 9 m kite? The original bar has old lines but the kite is still good. Just wondering if they would be compatible. :?:
If the Wainman Smoke uses 4 lines, that are the same length. Then it should be possible, just be aware that the release system vs. kite "moves" can be different. Even what the bar is designet to do and what the kite is designet to do can be different as the Wainman Smoke is an old kite. :)
I would try it out on a place with good place, but without to much wind and off the board as a start. Stear, release and so on.
gtc

Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:26 am

Hi,

I am currently riding a Smoke 9 (2.0) with a customized bar. The old Wainman bar was falling apart, so I bought a set of Switch lines (20m) and a small bar (47cm I think).

As long as the depower rope and the trimmer line have equal lengths the kite should fly well. The Smoke 9 has a 46cm travel length and about 30 cm of trimmer line (total length is x2).

Hope it helps!
fluidity

Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:10 am

Do some bar maintenance too.
Check the top swivel line holes, move the knots out and check for line wear. If it's excessive you may need to de-burr both ends of the holes with the lines removed.
Check the small stainless steel ramp that the chicken loop stainless steel loop fits over. You may need to file the edges of the ramp to even out wear and also file inside the very square corners of the steel loop elbows so they don't dig into the edges of the ramp as much.

Note these are just tips for the controller 3 bar. The controller 4 has a much more reliable looking quick release.