Switch 2018

General Discussions
fluidity

Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:36 pm

Alysum wrote:
Bardley wrote:Hi Felix
So other than the new Helium sizing and the new mono-strut kite will there be any new models of kite being added to the existing line up?
Will there be any new materials or more than 2 colour choices?
A new board?
New apparel/rashies or kite bags?
Too many questioms... Don't expect answers!

With Bill gone and the helium starting at 7m I don't see the mono strut happening....

I don't see any new boards coming. It's not their strength.
I had another look at the switch videos recently. Bill Hansen had an impressive resume. With him gone though, there will obviously be some changes in direction. I'm not sure I'd buy a normal rectangularish board myself anyway, not after liking reviews and video of the handling of a competitor's board and doing the 3D design and build of my own one in similar dimensions but with my own CAD mathematically derived surface to generate the rocker and concave. Most manufacturers sell boards based on graphics and wild claims about pop, pictures of them out of the water. A lot of board sales is about marketing, not performance and quality. For example, I built my board in 4kg weights and in 2kg weight, you'd think the 2kg version would be better, right?
Wrong. the 4kg one absorbs a lot more chop. If you want to kite Aitutaki, go for the 2kg. For most of our conditions though, a heavier board like the switch MJ2? (around 5kg??) is going to be more comfortable to ride (and land). So do you even need carbon in a board? Not really.... only if you are going to make it thin, stiff and very light. Better to use cloths like basalt and s-glass with a bit of stretch! Enjoy the lower price too.
Drak

Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:21 pm

Hi fluidity,

I agree with you in many points, I also built already a few boards, and I would never again buy one. But one thing to mention is, that its not the weight of a Board that absorbs chop and hard landings. Thats first of all rocker and the flex of a board. I just built two completely identical boards to compare that. They are the same size, have the same flex, the same rocker, same outline... but one is build in full carbon, the other one in glass. The carbon one is 1.5kg the glass one is 2.3kg.
And surprise... they feel exactly the same on the water. Im not sure if I could tell you which one I'm riding without looking at it. During jumps (especially rotations or other "board-moving stuff") you can feel the difference in weight. But the biggest difference you feel out of the water when carrying the board to the beach.

I'm looking forward to all that new stuff coming from Switch. Switch products where awesome in the past, and I'm pretty sure they will keep that high standard for the future.
hongchew

Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:12 am

I use a Cloud 13.5 for light wind foiling. Works great from 7kts on. But if it drops almost impossible to relaunch. I'd very much like a 1 strut kite. Those who say number not struts don't matter talk out of their ass.
fluidity

Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:03 pm

Drak wrote:Hi fluidity,

I agree with you in many points, I also built already a few boards, and I would never again buy one. But one thing to mention is, that its not the weight of a Board that absorbs chop and hard landings. Thats first of all rocker and the flex of a board. I just built two completely identical boards to compare that. They are the same size, have the same flex, the same rocker, same outline... but one is build in full carbon, the other one in glass. The carbon one is 1.5kg the glass one is 2.3kg.
And surprise... they feel exactly the same on the water. Im not sure if I could tell you which one I'm riding without looking at it. During jumps (especially rotations or other "board-moving stuff") you can feel the difference in weight. But the biggest difference you feel out of the water when carrying the board to the beach.

I'm looking forward to all that new stuff coming from Switch. Switch products where awesome in the past, and I'm pretty sure they will keep that high standard for the future.
The 2kg difference between the two boards I made probably makes the difference a bit more obvious than your 0.8kg difference. I noticed I was more easily fatigued on the lighter one and then realised the heavier one was less reactive to chop so my legs weren't working as hard! Just imagine a 2kg bottle of water smashing through each wave, it can absorb a lot of impact.
kite*hawk

Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:02 pm

Light Wind build on the bigger element sizes with the add of a 12M would be Awesome!
felix

Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:51 pm

We are listening and working hard to get you the goods. .
Thank you for the feed back .
Future looks super bright.
terrieb

Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:31 am

Building boards for over 15 years now and foils for the last 3 years a super light kite that responds is everything in light wind foiling. Some people try to push the limits of the 4-5knot range, I have only seen one or two people that can kite in those type of winds. And I hate to say it but they were on foil kites. I have foiled in 5-7 knots on a 10m kite but I changed out the front wing. People think they need a bigger kite for the light wind go bigger front wing and play on a small kite. But I guess building foils I can cut a mould and press a wing one day ride it the next I have those options.

I have always said don't kite farther then you want to swim when it comes to light wind... no matter what kite in light wind they are all a pain in the butt to get off the water if they go down.

felix or Ralph want to send a kite for me to test with the foils I am more then willing to try.

terrieb
SwitchGreg

Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:38 am

^^^^ that's why I went for the Helium. I haven't truly pushed the light wind boundaries yet and I would not be surprised if the lower limit is not that low. So far I have not been stupidly overpowered in about 18 knots of wind (although I am thinking through the process of building myself a long depower bar using Controller 4 parts).

What I have found is that I am riding comfortably powered and cruising while others are swimming and I'm doing it for 1/4 of the price of a foil. I get the added advantage of a nice floaty platform to self rescue on, if that proves necessary.

Definitely it would be nice if Switch produced a kite optimised but that thing needs to be cost effective.
airsails

Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:08 am

So until we get an offering from Switch, I've been playing around with an old 7 mtr E1 for foiling. First I removed the two outer struts, worked just fine. So went the whole hog and took off the last one too. A lot lighter, more depower, and seems to work just fine. No good in the stronger stuff but seems good up to 16 knots. Just playing with the bridles now, need to move the front line attach point forward a bit to allow the kite to depower even more so you can really turn the power off through gybes.
I've got an 11 there too but wouldn't go strutless on the larger kites, the 7 relaunches just fine but in light wind the 11 would be a problem. Not the best kites to start modifying as they are a bit heavy to start with but worth nothing so why not.
Attachments
Strutless E1.JPG
Strutless E1.JPG (133.59 KiB) Viewed 3983 times
Faxie

Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:18 pm

airsails wrote:So until we get an offering from Switch, I've been playing around with an old 7 mtr E1 for foiling. First I removed the two outer struts, worked just fine. So went the whole hog and took off the last one too. A lot lighter, more depower, and seems to work just fine. No good in the stronger stuff but seems good up to 16 knots. Just playing with the bridles now, need to move the front line attach point forward a bit to allow the kite to depower even more so you can really turn the power off through gybes.
I've got an 11 there too but wouldn't go strutless on the larger kites, the 7 relaunches just fine but in light wind the 11 would be a problem. Not the best kites to start modifying as they are a bit heavy to start with but worth nothing so why not.
Cool!

I'm considering to do the same with my V3 9m. I don't have it at the moment because it's a possible donor kite for my V4 that's being repaired. The bladder might be taken out, so in that case I won't bother experimenting.