What next? / No Removable Mono-Strut / Bye, Bye, Bill!

General Discussions
eatsleepkiterepeat

Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:25 pm

Are you allowed to say who is taking over the design duties? Is it an in house team or a separate design studio?
felix

Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:31 am

Hi,
We have sourced a group of talented designers that really excel in specific areas.
Bringing more design power to Switch than ever before.

Firewire surfboards being a perfect example.
They have shapers that excel in certain designs. Bringing consumers nothing but the best.

Regards
Felix.
Bill C

Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:07 pm

That is going to be a tough scenario. One of the main reasons I bought Switch was because of Bill Hansen and the identity he brought. It will be interesting to see how many people follow the designer to a different brand verses Switch.
kite*hawk

Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:51 pm

Interesting...
jakoblondal

Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:21 pm

Never the less if the brand of Switch Kiteboarding makes replacement's, I am sure it's for the best and there is thoughts about it and it's not a quickly made decision.. No company would like to get split up what ever reason there is. -I think it's at this time that the company (switch) should get the support they need and people have to relax. :mrgreen:
naishdude

Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:00 pm

Ralph out and Bill out will has made my decision easier.
I always saw Ralph as a driving force behind Switch, and Bill a pretty good designer, who listened and tried to implement what was asked for.
Ralph always tried to solve all the arising problems, with customers and to some point it sometimes was a very unsatisfying job I assume, but he always did his best to solve, in many ways, was open to discussion and always had enjoyable chats with him, eve when I was complaiig about something, he always tried to find the easiest way to solve the problem
Good luck Ralph, let's stay in touch!
Good Luck Bill, I am sure you will find your way, with all your skills

I wish Switch all the best with their new team.

Dude
topmick

Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:38 am

I must say, it's sad to see Bill go but I'm also excited about the new designs coming.

@ Naishdude - I don't know what choice you had to make?, as I know you have been on Ozone Reos for the last 2 seasons.
Last edited by topmick on Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fluidity

Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:00 am

Hi Felix, based on that, I guess all we can do is wait??

Obviously Bill Hansen has THE knowledge base on what he was trying to achieve and did achieve with the kite designs.
Most boards are mostly pretty similar, it seems most manufacturers sell boards on aesthetics rather than performance simply because most people fixate on appearance rather than handling.
Some fresh outlooks may well bring new innovations depending on the combination of skill and talent you can find but not sure how this relates to firewire surfboards as an example?
A board can make a massive difference to how you ride, I know as a newbie when I was inspired by reviews of the O.R. Mako, I considered buying one but decided I'd prefer to spend the money and time to gain my own experience with some custom CAD and almost a year later I'm so pleased with that decision :P But even small changes in fin design and placement can also transform handling! I think the next big breakthrough is to combine good flex with big concave.
My wishes for a change in direction for Switch?
1. Refine the pivot points of the kites on the front lines for lower bar pressure.
2. Stronger, thinner, lighter inflated parts. (less inflating but higher pressure)
3. Consistent steering at different bar pulls and de-power.
skw_admin
Site Admin

Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:33 am

Hi Everyone.
To help clarify things, here is a little run down on what's happening at Switch Kites.
Yes, Ralph retired at the beginning of the year. He was a great asset and he will be missed.
Yes, We have over doubled the size of our design and development team. We cannot go into too much detail as confidentiality agreements and contracts are still being finalized, but what we can say is that the awesome new models and products coming soon will speak for them selves.
The test team is absolutely blown away with the new accelerated development format and say the new kites coming have reset the benchmark in performance. Quote: "These are by far the very best kites Switch has ever made!"
Very exciting times!
naishdude

Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:16 pm

topmick wrote:I must say, it's sad to see Bill go but I'm also excited about the new designs coming.

@ Naishdude - I don't know what choice you had to make, as I know you have been on Ozone Reos for the last 2 seasons ?
I have always had a strong connection with Switch, as I was with them from the beginning, I stepped over when they started making a lot of follow up kites ( Element) which was nearly not to be followed. ( financially, and where was the big change?) that and the rising of prices at switch ,kites, and shipping spare parts, compared to the good deals I got out of the market made me decide to switch to the ozone REO.

This does not mean I did not feel connected anymore at Switch which I I follow their website, and the forum on a constant base?
Now hearing Ralph is out and Bill, made it easier on me, because I had a pretty good conection with them, especially Ralph...which I got in contact with from the beginning, when they even did not had the website up and running completely.

Hope this satisfies as an answer to your question...
dude