Switching from Element to Nitro advice?

General Discussions
icedub

Mon May 22, 2017 4:29 pm

I’m starting to think about the next round of kites I’d like to fly and am considering a switch to Nitro from Element and was hoping to get some advice. I'm a 125lb (57kg) intermediate rider from Vermont currently flying 5-7-9 Elements and a 12m Mutiny Surf kite. I love the stability and ease of the elements, but the bar pressure has really started to get me. My elements are V3 and 4, so I realize that the v5 has “20% less bar pressure”.

It seems that the Nitro beats the Element for bar pressure, up-wind, wind range, and relaunch. From all the reviews, it sounds like the N6 is very stable and able to handle gusts, de-powers well, etc. My spot is a lake.. so wind is usually building or dying and de-power is important.

The biggest thing is that I don’t surf.. my local spot is flat water. I realize that the Element is an all-round kite, but it seems like Waves are what it excels at most and that’s the developmental direction it’s going to continue heading in.

I’m spending 90% of my riding time on flat/choppy water.. are there any real benefits of the Element vs. the Nitro? Other than in the waves, what does the Element offer over the Nitro?
Faxie

Mon May 22, 2017 7:17 pm

icedub wrote:I’m starting to think about the next round of kites I’d like to fly and am considering a switch to Nitro from Element and was hoping to get some advice. I'm a 125lb (57kg) intermediate rider from Vermont currently flying 5-7-9 Elements and a 12m Mutiny Surf kite. I love the stability and ease of the elements, but the bar pressure has really started to get me. My elements are V3 and 4, so I realize that the v5 has “20% less bar pressure”.

It seems that the Nitro beats the Element for bar pressure, up-wind, wind range, and relaunch. From all the reviews, it sounds like the N6 is very stable and able to handle gusts, de-powers well, etc. My spot is a lake.. so wind is usually building or dying and de-power is important.

The biggest thing is that I don’t surf.. my local spot is flat water. I realize that the Element is an all-round kite, but it seems like Waves are what it excels at most and that’s the developmental direction it’s going to continue heading in.

I’m spending 90% of my riding time on flat/choppy water.. are there any real benefits of the Element vs. the Nitro? Other than in the waves, what does the Element offer over the Nitro?
Element relaunches better, more agile kite, tighter less powerful loops (good for learning). Windrange is already huge on the Elements, they stay in the air a bit better because of lighter weight (important for you, cause you ride smaller sizes), pop and slack is decent but you have to edge and pop hard and fast to get slack. Upwind is good enough, though Nitro is better. Few days ago I was on surfboard and 9m Element and was going better upwind than someone lighter than me on surfboard and 10m Reo. Nitro jumps better and more hangtime.

Not sure about bar pressure, but I think Nitro6 has less than Element5. I think in the end it mostly depends on your level and riding style.
icedub

Mon May 22, 2017 8:39 pm

Faxie wrote:I think in the end it mostly depends on your level and riding style.
Thanks Faxie. I do appreciate that the Element stays in the air really well. I'd say that my riding style is freeride primarily. Maybe I'm just getting tripped up by the idea that the Element's charactaristsics make it an ideal surf kite, and I don't surf. I'd call my level intermediate.. working on backrolls and grabs, no unhooking yet. Would a Nitro help me progress faster with jumping and freeride?

I've flown enough kites to know how to keep them in the air. I suppose I could just start by ordering a 13m element and a 12m nitro and return one of them..
Faxie

Mon May 22, 2017 9:17 pm

icedub wrote:
Faxie wrote:I think in the end it mostly depends on your level and riding style.
Thanks Faxie. I do appreciate that the Element stays in the air really well. I'd say that my riding style is freeride primarily. Maybe I'm just getting tripped up by the idea that the Element's charactaristsics make it an ideal surf kite, and I don't surf. I'd call my level intermediate.. working on backrolls and grabs, no unhooking yet. Would a Nitro help me progress faster with jumping and freeride?

I've flown enough kites to know how to keep them in the air. I suppose I could just start by ordering a 13m element and a 12m nitro and return one of them..
Nitro will help with jumping, and stuff like front/backrolls, but it will punish you a bit harder with loops.
kite*hawk

Wed May 24, 2017 11:56 am

If I was a lake rider who never surfed it would be Nitro all the way. It will take your free riding to the next level. Just get 1 in the size you most commonly use. At your weight I would go 10M unless the winds there are typically light and if so go 12M and replace that Mutiny!
barrywind

Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:59 pm

Faxie wrote:...Nitro will help with jumping, and stuff like front/backrolls, but it will punish you a bit harder with loops.
Re: Nitro loop punishment
Ha! That made me laugh. I just 'adjusted' my quiver, funny how these adjustments never stop, by getting a larger kite. In this case, selling off my 14M Nitro and getting a 15M Helium. That big of a Nitro sure kicked my ass when learning how not to loop the kite. The Helium, even though bigger, is so much more tamer to loop. This is due to the Helium doing more of a less powerful pivoting turn than the larger radius [and more powerful] turn with the Nitro. No more down looping the kite into the water, because of a large turn radius, and/or getting thrown across the galaxy...
Thankfully I've only got one Switch kite in my quiver, a 15.5m Helium2. Send a PM if you want to buy it.
My Referral code = Sorry, No Longer a Pimp for Switch :(
-Barry