Thinking about going from Legacy to Nitro in smaller sizes

General Discussions
YakAttack

Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:37 am

Question: I have Legacy V1 in 8, 10, 12 and 14m sizes and I love them, however now that I'm past 40 I have backed off doing wakestyle in winds over 22 knots or so as slams are starting to hurt for longer. In higher winds I prefer to just go as big as possible and spin around. Does the Nitro have more glide than the Legacy and go bigger for old school tricks? Should I move to the Nitro in the 10m and 8m sizes and keep the Legacy for doing wakestyle in lighter winds? Can the Nitro be ridden as a 5 line so I can use the same bar? Would love to hear feedback especially from people who've ridden both. Thanks
trickcoach

Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:32 pm

I also have legacy 8m/10m and a combat2 15m , this covers basically all wind ranges for me (I am 85kgs) , I also own a 7m Flux from Adikites for stronger winds ...

I am like you 40+ and my fun is unhooking ... but when it gets really strong I don't unhook anymore .. and then just go biggies ...
While 7m flux (which I will change for a nitro as soon as it is sold) and 8m legacy are so close in size I really dont use them in the same wind range , 8m legacy for unhooked 23kts to 28kts , 7m flux over 30kts for big air ...

I've tried the V5 nitro 7m and really loved the feeling for jumping , hang time , really fun to ride in high wind , my friend just got the V6 and he says its even nicer ...

so while I'd say go with the nitro you could just get it for the smallest kite , but keep the 10m legacy , I mean 10m for unhooking 18/22 kts is really more fun than big air in those wind ranges ...

nitro can be ridden 5 lines , just keep the 5th slack ...
jayocz

Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:38 pm

Yeah I'm turning 40 this year and its starting to really suck crashing. I have only a 12m Legacy v1 and all nitro 6's 12m 9m and 7m I just got. Normally I would say the legacys have more float and hangtime but that seemed to change for me with the v6's. I would say they are very similar now. I would suggest going with the nitros now in the smaller sizes for the boosting and hangtime. And as stated above you can use 5 lines but keep the 5th slack or like I just did take advantage of the 1/2 off bar with a new nitro purchase and use that. Its a win win. But yeah I only do wakestyle with my 12m now and boost to the moon with my smaller nitros trying to get new personal bests with my WOO.
--------------------------------------------------------
Switch team rider
NH/MA USA
My referral code 207977
trickcoach

Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:59 pm

went out on my 8m legacy V1 today , 25/30kts , first part of the session used the standard bar on wide and fast settings for the kite ... went boosting 10m+ jumps for 2hrs , then switched to my custom bar (38cm wide , 20m lines) and slow settings for 1 hour unhooked session , I realized that eventhough I'm turning 44 next week I can still have a lot of fun in stronger winds unhooked with the legacy , that's the first time I really enjoy small kites for unhooking ... landed a few low mobes , that felt awesome ...
ChrisMe

Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:09 pm

What is the diference in lowend between the Legacy 12m and Nitro 12m?
Thanks
Juicerider

Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:15 am

Guys, I think you are looking at this from the wrong angle.10 years ago I thought the same thing, however lots of stretching and cross training can prolong your enjoyment of wake style much further into old age. I'm over 50 now and spend about 15 minutes stretching before I go to the beach. The 8 legacy is perfect up to about 27 kts for unhooking, however I have to admit that any stronger than that and I get a bit scared and set it on the settings for depwer and just do boosts and dangly shit.
So I believe the answer is to keep fit with other sports and remain flexible, and keep going with wakes style. Don't use your age as an excuse not to go hard.
Good luck :D