Is controller 4 in development?

General Discussions
huili88

Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:48 pm

I'm with the keep it simple crowd. Just take a look at the bar maintenance video from North. There are way to many small parts and tight tolerances. Those two things do not mix well with sand and salt. I would much rather have a bar I can service on vacation with easily sourced parts.
samdelco

Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:23 am

By the way, release can reasonnably be expected for June - July guys :-) !
Sam
Referral code : 259567
Switch Kites Team Rider - Belgium/The Netherlands - Element V2 9 ; Nitro V5 7 & 12 ; Controller
djbear33k

Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:15 pm

PLEASE DONT COVER THE DEPOWER ROPE IN A PLASTIC TUBE!!!!! (Do that and i will only buy other kite brands bars)

Why would you want a depower rope covered in plastic, turning is much harder, it makes a weird rattle when you get slack on the lines. To top it off if it wears you wont know to change it!!!! for me this is a huge safety issue. I am happy to change my depower rope every now and again, for the same reasons i change my climbing rope every now and again (Imagine plastic climbing rope :lol: ).

Personally i have little issue with switch kite bar as it is, i would like to see it simplified (remove the swivel), i dont use the floats on a kite bar they never float the bar so have removed them (no kite bar floats i have ever used have made the bar float) and have the quick release fine tuned.

One thing i would like to change which most people probably have not realized but on the bar you have written WRONG WAY on it, i can never see it!!! invert the colours so its really obvious.
SwitchGreg

Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:40 am

Reasons to cover the depower line in plastic:

1. It never wears. I have a plastic covered bar with 330 hours use. No wear at all on it. You can get some wear on the ends where it loops around metal fittings. That is easy to see. It is easy enough to replace the depower line if the system is designed properly.

2. It is much less tangle prone. If you get into a position where there is no tension on the center lines the bar, floats and leaders can knot themselves catastrophically. I have had this happen several times in less than 100 hours of use. I sorted it out easily enough but it should never happen. A plastic coated line is inherently stiff and much less likely to tangle. I had maybe one or two tangles in 600+ hours of use.

3. The plastic centre line doesn't pinch or rub your fingers. The ideal position for most riding is to have your hand in the centre of the bar, often with fingers on either side of the centre line. You constantly need to monitor your fingers so they're not rubbed by the centre line. This is much less of an issue with a plastic covered centre line.

4. Almost every premium brand has gone to a plastic centre line. Switch produces premium quality products without the absurd pricing of the other brands. It would be wonderful to be able to buy a premium quality bar from Switch. Even North have moved to plastic covered bars and they have resisted every advance in kite design over the years (One pump. 4 lines. Plastic coated centre line)

Tangle resistance also applies to integrating soft bar ends and floats.

In usage terms, once you go to a plastic covered centre line, you can simply use one bar and just buy a new one every 2-3 years. It reaches a point where replacing bits and pieces is counter productive. You replace the centre line, then the leaders, then the lines, then the bungies then the chicken loop. The cost and effort mounts up. More importantly, when you're riding an old bar you start to lose confidence in the various parts to be reliable when you're pushing the limits. It is much more confidence inspiring to have something new and reliable than something a bit cheaper with a heap of maintenance load. So far all my Switch kites from the 5m to 10m all work best on a single bar with the same length settings.

The discussion is somewhat moot. From the previous posts it seems that the Controller 4 will have all the modern goodies on it. I doubt that Switch are monitoring these posts and radically changing the design of the new bar.
Brett

Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:06 pm

I'm hoping for the top swivel to be removed and a better bearing put in the chicken loop swivel like the north ceramic bearing on their new bar.
Eugene
Location: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmNJpZ ... sLoRTqkuXg

Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:02 am

Will this new bar have red on the left, maybe v1 had it already ?
Kites: Nitro V6 10m, Element V3 9m & Legacy v2 9m
Bar: 2x Controller3
Boards: Twintip MJ Comp V2 140x43
fmilland

Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:48 pm

Syl

Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:38 pm

:lol:

I'm sure that many of us have "switched" to another brand while waiting for the new controller that let itself desirable ...
I hold on since many months.... but until when !! ;)
... march, then spring, and now june-july ... may be in september !!
SwitchGreg

Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:11 am

I just replaced the depower line and safety line on my Controller 3. I always assumed it would be easy, because it looks simple and it looks simple on the video.

I found it quite complicated. So many holes and gaps and routes through that you have to get done. It's not hard, but it is surprisingly tedious.

The replacement chicken loop line doesn't come with the magnet so I had to remove the magnet from the old depower line and attach it with some heat shrink. Lots of fiddling about and swearing required.

I found it much easier to replace the plastic coated depower line on my old Cabrinha kites. There's a bit of unpicking and hand sewing required, and I spliced up my own depower line. But overall the job was quite simple. When you consider the Cabrinha line is not meant to be replaced (you're supposed to buy the plastic coated spare part line), it is surprisingly easy.

The other thing is I replaced my Cabrinha depower line after 250-300 hours. They were still in reasonable condition but I could see some broken strands around the end shackles. I replaced the Switch line after barely 70 hours. I'm sure it had a fair few more hours in it, but it looked like frayed board short string. A Switch depower line costs about $25 including shipping. A Cabrina plastic covered depower costs more like $85.

Just looking at the spare parts list from my local Cabrinha dealer, I think I can get the parts to retrofit a full plastic covered depower line and trimmer for about AUD$120, maybe closer to $250 by the time I get a matching chicken loop and splice up some leaders and lines and whatever.

Really looking forward to seeing what the Controller 4 looks like.
topmick

Sun May 21, 2017 5:50 am

A little info I found on another forum today.

[Quote]

Saw the bar (or a prototype) being tested by Felix the other day. Please don't ask me a million questions, here's what I could tell: new softer grip, didn't see a swivel above the bar, single line flagging which I saw working perfectly about 10 times, overall really clean and non-cluttered looking setup.