Is controller 4 in development?

General Discussions
Faxie

Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:00 pm

Bill C wrote:
topmick wrote:Surely there is somewhere to adjust / trim your lines ?
I assume there is leader line coming off the bar. Can't you tie figure-8 knots in the leader to adjust?

Hopefully, someone from Switch will step in and clarify.
Nope. the leader lines are completely covered in PU.

Ony way I can come up with is tying knots in the pigtails...
Faxie

Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:07 pm

kamou wrote:Nice bar!

I was going to get me one but 46cm C4X is already out of stock in europe, when will it be available again?

And when will C4pro be available? Because the fith line setup for the c4x is strange, i mean you are still flagging your kite on a front line instead of flagging on the fifth line.

For those of you who already got the c4x do you think it's possible and easy to cut it down (if i want a 40cm bar) ?
If you send an email to Switch, they might send a 46cm bar from HongKong to Europe ;)

No idea when the pro will be available, but I'm guessing the safety bracket wil be a bit different, with an added hole for the 5th line where the stopper ball can sit against. For the C4X the 5th line option is for stability and not for safety. You can always attach the 5th line to the side of the bracket and the frontline to the middle, but I'm not sure what the effect on the bracket will be, given that the lines don't carry the same load.

I don't think it will be possible to cut the bar down without destroying the barends...
Bill C

Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:54 pm

Faxie wrote:
Bill C wrote:
I assume there is leader line coming off the bar. Can't you tie figure-8 knots in the leader to adjust?

I've used my Controller 3 quite a bit and have the steering lines attached to different leader line knots to compensate for stretch. Not much difference, but still different knots. The pigtails on my Controller 3 steering lines don't seem conducive for adjustments. Maybe they are different on the Controller 4.

There must be an explanation or compensating procedure.

Wonder if I can buy the Controller 4 bar and transfer my Controller 3 components. :D
Faxie

Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:17 pm

Bill C wrote:
Faxie wrote:
Bill C wrote:

I've used my Controller 3 quite a bit and have the steering lines attached to different leader line knots to compensate for stretch. Not much difference, but still different knots. The pigtails on my Controller 3 steering lines don't seem conducive for adjustments. Maybe they are different on the Controller 4.

There must be an explanation or compensating procedure.

Wonder if I can buy the Controller 4 bar and transfer my Controller 3 components. :D
I've done the same on my V2 bar. There's a one knot difference between the left and right side.

You can shorten the pigtails with knots, but that will weaken them too, so I'm not too sure that's a good idea.

There's no dedicated adjustment option on the V4, not the front lines, nor the backlines.

Switching out parts should be possible partially. But you'll probably need adjustments afterwards, and it's at your own risk offcourse.

But it should be possible to replace the V4 leader lines with the V3 ones. But there's a chance they are of different lengths, and you have to fix the leaders above the floaters so you don't run the risk of the leaders to slip from the rear side of the bar. Or you can possibly use the entire V3 bargrip including floaters on the V4. There should be enough room in the centerhole.
snice1

Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:44 pm

Faxie wrote:
Bill C wrote:

Disappointing if that's the case as I've always at some point had to adjust my lines.

Anyone from Switch care to comment?
topmick

Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:13 am

Faxie wrote:
Bill C wrote:

How many knots are on the pigtails, surely there can't be just one ???? :shock:
snice1

Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:48 am

Only one, I did wonder if you could just cut away the PU sleeve if need be but it's stitched to the leader.
SwitchGreg

Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:39 am

The other brands supply adjustable pigtails on the kite end of the back lines. It's very easy to adjust.

The floppy bar ends and limp leaders were what made the Controller 3 dangerous. The ends would wrap around the bar and cause the kite to death spiral. It almost never happens on a bar with stiffened bar ends and plastic coated leaders.

I would be surprised if there are any knots on the leaders. With no adjustment you can male all the connections loop-loop which is far cleaner.
Bill C

Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:52 am

Adjustable pigtails...never knew they existed. A little spendy. https://kiteboarding.com/proddetail.asp ... e_pigtails
Faxie

Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:30 am

Its very easy to make them yourself. You just gotta learn how to splice.