Is controller 4 in development?

General Discussions
Faxie

Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:11 pm

fluidity wrote:*critical*
Please revise quick release.
This week I tested mine and it wouldn't operate. I washed it persistently until it was releasing but it was still sticky. On examination the fixed ramp has tiny wear around where the corners of the metal squared loop press against it so that where the metal loop sits the edges of the static metal ramp are rounded but further towards me, the ramp edges are squared.
It would make sense to round the edges of the ramp all the way along to redistribute wear to the flat surfaces instead.
There are many other ways of providing a quick release to the loop. My O.R. chickenloop quick release is simply a sturdy strap held folded back towards the user until the quick release is pushed and opens up an angle for the stiff end section of the strap to flip straight and pull back from the retainer pin. We kite at beaches so the release must be able to work with grit, sand etc in the mechanism. If it doesn't then the design is a fail.
One year ago when I first looked at the switch quick release I was mystified at the complexity of it and surprised at the length of the mechanism.
Anything that is elegant and allows full bar pull closer to the body is great, especially for people with short arms who need all the bar throw they can physically manage to be productive bar throw!
Complex? It's one of the simplest systems in existance, and basically a copy of the North one. I think only the Epic release is simpler. It's the fold-back type that's more complex, and gives more risk of jamming and injury... More difficult to reset too.

Never heard of the problem you are having before on that kind of release... how old is it, and how many uses?
barrywind

Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:48 pm

Re: QR not functioning
Perhaps try rinsing the bar BEFORE you actually take off. If my bar gets sandy while pumping up, I pause at the water's edge and rinse off the chicken loop, release and swivel before I go out. I also rinse off my leash if I think it also got sandy. I think you are expecting too much for a bar to fully function and not experience accelerated wear when it's encrusted with sand/grit. I also try to always freshwater rinse my bar AFTER kiting in saltwater.
fluidity wrote:*critical*
Please revise quick release.
This week I tested mine and it wouldn't operate. I washed it persistently until it was releasing but it was still sticky. ...We kite at beaches so the release must be able to work with grit, sand etc in the mechanism. If it doesn't then the design is a fail....
Thankfully I've only got one Switch kite in my quiver, a 15.5m Helium2. Send a PM if you want to buy it.
My Referral code = Sorry, No Longer a Pimp for Switch :(
-Barry
fluidity

Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:16 pm

Faxie wrote: Complex? It's one of the simplest systems in existance, and basically a copy of the North one. I think only the Epic release is simpler. It's the fold-back type that's more complex, and gives more risk of jamming and injury... More difficult to reset too.
Never heard of the problem you are having before on that kind of release... how old is it, and how many uses?
I was comparing quick releases a couple of days ago with other brands. A North quick release I was shown (also a year old and used lots over that year like mine) had a completely different and more reliable, simpler looking mechanism.
The Ocean Rodeo fold back one:NOT more complex, it's very very simple. You would have to force it full of grit by hammering the grit in with a screw driver to make it hard to release. It's a shorter mechanism too.

The safety problem with the Switchkite one is that the quick release orange release sleeve can be fully activated, the retainer open and yet the metal loop is still trapped on the ramp by the direction of pull into the wear pattern at the corners of the ramp where the metal loop sits.
Faxie

Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:06 pm

fluidity wrote:
Faxie wrote: Complex? It's one of the simplest systems in existance, and basically a copy of the North one. I think only the Epic release is simpler. It's the fold-back type that's more complex, and gives more risk of jamming and injury... More difficult to reset too.
I was comparing quick releases a couple of days ago with other brands. A North quick release I was shown (also a year old and used lots over that year like mine) had a completely different and more reliable, simpler looking mechanism.
The Ocean Rodeo fold back one:NOT more complex, it's very very simple. You would have to force it full of grit by hammering the grit in with a screw driver to make it hard to release. It's a shorter mechanism too.

The safety problem with the Switchkite one is that the quick release orange release sleeve can be fully activated, the retainer open and yet the metal loop is still trapped on the ramp by the direction of pull into the wear pattern at the corners of the ramp where the metal loop sits.
Did I miss something?

Same:

Every fold-back release is more complex. Takes more steps to reset, and is mechanically more complex, increasing risk of failure. Almost every manufacturer has abandoned that type of release nowadays.

Never heard of any problems with the metal plate, so it seems you're one of the few. Mine is working flawless now for over 650 hours of kiting :roll:
2surf

Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:08 pm

I would agree with the assessment that the current quick release can be problematic and needs to be improved. When it is brand new, there is no issue. As it wears, it becomes harder to release. The release mechanism (the part you grab) still moves easily but even when it is pressed firmly against the bottom of the swivel, it does not always release, especially when there is tension on the chicken loop. If you apply a small amount of back pressure on the swivel to take load off of the chicken loop, it releases without issue. (But, that requires 2 hands.)
I always clean my bar with fresh water after every session and check for sand, salt, and junk in the mechanisms but this problem still exists. I have not done a full examination to see which part is wearing and causing the problem....but something is.
I love my Switch gear, but no piece of equipment is perfect. Definitely look forward to seeing what version 4 looks like.
Corpus Christi, TX USA
Nitro3 6m, 14m | Nitro5 8m, 12m | Legacy 10m
Eugene

Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:01 pm

Are we getting rear line trim too ?
Kites: Nitro V6 10m, Element V3 9m & Legacy v2 9m
Bar: 2x Controller3
Boards: Twintip MJ Comp V2 140x43
SwitchGreg

Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:31 am

Hopefully the Controller 4 is imminent and it's probably a bit late to throw my two cents worth. But it's a wet, yucky day and I don't want to do anything else so ...

The floppy bar floats are a massive tangling hazard. They very easily wrap around the bar or the other lines. Soft bar ends don't damage boards and integrated floats are much less likely to tangle. I can live without bar length adjustment. I have played with moving the steering lines to the outer adjustment, but all my kites work better on the inner setting. I would rather just buy fixed length bars. I definitely do not want some tricky mechanical length adjustment system.

The above the bar swivel is a bit messy and seems unnecessary with the below the bar swivel. I would be happier with a simpler, cleaner system.

The trimming cleat works ok with a bit of practice but it's a bit bulky. Something more streamlined would be nice.

The magnetic trim handle keeper is a joke. It does not work unless you very carefully place the flat sides of the knob onto the flat sides of the keeper. Get rid of it. The trim handle is also dangerous in that it wraps around the centre line and almost ties itself in a knot. There must be a better system. The Ocean Rodeo one looks quite nice.

Bare rope passing through the bar works ok, but it is prone to wear and it is a bit tangle prone. I have bars that are 7 years old with plastic covered depower line. That is much better than bare rope. It does not wear and is very resistant to tangles. The only problem is that it is a bit of a pain to replace the depower rope. It should be easy enough to design an easily replaced system, or sell replacements at a reasonable price.

Bungee line keepers always break. They need to be easily replaceable, preferably without buying a custom part. Even better, make them long enough to not be overstretched so they don't break.
YakAttack

Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:09 am

Am I wrong but in the latest pics of Mark Jacobs the bar he is riding looks like the sheeter line is covered in plastic, the swivel is new and the depower ball has been replaced with a simple loop. Who knows, maybe their just testing different configs.
SwitchGreg

Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:47 pm

Can you post a link to a picture?
queneseb

Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:13 pm

Hi all,

Everything you claim gonna be improve !

- Soft grip
- Soft bar end
- Better Bar Flot
- 360 magnetic
- Remove swivel
- Plastic depower rope

:mrgreen:

@SwitchGreg, is there any positiv thing for you in life ? :D
My Referral Code: 100485
(Use my Code 100485 when Sign up or Buying on switchkites.com and obtain benefits, Rewards + Naked women !!)