Any Single Strut kite news?

General Discussions
barrywind

Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:24 pm

Re: removing struts
I'm curious what one would expect from the [1 pound / 0.5 kg?] weight savings to remove the two outboard struts? For any added range to relaunch on the low end, 1-2 knots?, seems like you would lose much more range than that on the top end. Especially when the shape was designed to be supported with 3-struts. Without a strut and lacking a hollow leech, I'd also expect serious trailing edge flutter. I doubt this would allow one to even use one-size smaller kite...
But who know. So easy for one [me] to sit here and judge/speculate... Go for it and report back!
-B
Thankfully I've only got one Switch kite in my quiver, a 15.5m Helium2. Send a PM if you want to buy it.
My Referral code = Sorry, No Longer a Pimp for Switch :(
-Barry
Brett

Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:13 pm

Should first try pinching off both struts to fly deflated before doing surgery but I think Bill Hansen would be horrified if he heard such blasphemy :p Personally I'd rather foil with an unmodified 7m e3 and wait for a purpose built mono strut with less weight elsewhere as well (trailing edge, wing tip dacron, etc).
Brett

Tue May 23, 2017 11:19 am

Any updates on the progress?
anguswalker

Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:19 pm

I did browse the messages to date but perhaps I missed it but why not simply build the Heliums with single strut & also release smaller versions for lighter winds & riders.

I currently use the Element5 13M & Helium1 18 for foiling. Both are great kites. I would imagine a 15M SS kite would be perfect in 8 knots & where I live we get a several weeks of 8 knots on either side of the season.

Anyway, I'll be keen to see what is produced.
Brett

Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:30 am

anguswalker wrote:I did browse the messages to date but perhaps I missed it but why not simply build the Heliums with single strut & also release smaller versions for lighter winds & riders.

I currently use the Element5 13M & Helium1 18 for foiling. Both are great kites. I would imagine a 15M SS kite would be perfect in 8 knots & where I live we get a several weeks of 8 knots on either side of the season.

Anyway, I'll be keen to see what is produced.

I don't think it's a simple as removing the struts. You can see the trailing edge isn't straight across so there will be excess flap where the side struts would normally attach.