Any Single Strut kite news?

General Discussions
topmick
Posts: 165
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:04 am
Location: Australia

Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:04 pm

Switch Design wrote:Hello YakAttack and Others:
Quick question. Our current thinking is to make 7, 9 &12sqm sizes. We plan to keep the 15.5 & 18sqm Helium models. The MonoStrut versions are strictly intended for hydrofoiling. Any thoughts on these sizes?
Thanks!
Hope the characteristics your looking for foiling also make a great light wind wave kite.

Fast turning
Drift
Relaunch
JeromeD
Posts: 59
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:05 pm

Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:37 am

Switch Design wrote:Hello YakAttack and Others:
Quick question. Our current thinking is to make 7, 9 &12sqm sizes. We plan to keep the 15.5 & 18sqm Helium models. The MonoStrut versions are strictly intended for hydrofoiling. Any thoughts on these sizes?
Thanks!
Realized I'm a little bit late to the game but I would also consider a 5m. I saw a couple of people working the hell out of 5m strutless kites on foils in Maui and having a good time. And I agree that the Helium is fine in 15.5 and above.
Switch Element v6 5m
Switch Helium v3 7m, 9m, 12m
Jerome D
JeromeD
Posts: 59
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:05 pm

Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:41 am

Ok I'm in South Padre Island and ready to buy a quiver. Any update on the status?
Switch Element v6 5m
Switch Helium v3 7m, 9m, 12m
Jerome D
barrywind
Posts: 173
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:18 pm

Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:36 pm

Airush Ultra now hitting the market. 9M is 2.3kg/3#, ~$1250 USD
Not sure I like bridle pulleys though...
http://airush.com/2017/kites/ultra/
Thankfully I've only got one Switch kite in my quiver, a 15.5m Helium2. Send a PM if you want to buy it.
My Referral code = Sorry, No Longer a Pimp for Switch :(
-Barry
YakAttack
Posts: 68
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:09 pm

Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:21 pm

I'm stoked for the 12m to become available, however I'd rather spend my money on a well tested and designed kite rather than one rushed to market.
Faxie
Posts: 723
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:38 pm

Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:18 pm

I'd rather have an 11.... was thinking of getting one for when my 9m Element is too small for the waves, and it would be a good size to start with hydrofoiling for me :)
JeromeD
Posts: 59
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:05 pm

Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:41 pm

Well I couldn't wait any longer and had to buy a used Cloud 9 as a stopgap measure. I really don't like these strutless kites (I also have a used Naish Trip 12). I would really like to replace them with single strut kites. Any word?
Switch Element v6 5m
Switch Helium v3 7m, 9m, 12m
Jerome D
dtmt
Posts: 75
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:27 pm

Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:15 pm

Anyone tried making their own? Mono strut - that is. Just remove both outer struts on an E3,4,5 & see how it works? I have an old E3 7M I'm seriously thinking about trying .... just curious if anyone has tried already? There was a thread on KF about doing it & it seemed some folks had gotten decent results with other brands.
Faxie
Posts: 723
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:38 pm

Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:39 pm

dtmt wrote:Anyone tried making their own? Mono strut - that is. Just remove both outer struts on an E3,4,5 & see how it works? I have an old E3 7M I'm seriously thinking about trying .... just curious if anyone has tried already? There was a thread on KF about doing it & it seemed some folks had gotten decent results with other brands.
I saw that thread, and I'm thinking of doing the same thing with my E3 9m. Little damage on the strut and 300+ hrs of flight, so I got a V4 9m and will experiment with the V3 :mrgreen:
Brett
Posts: 70
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:24 am

Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:16 am

I don't think the trailing edge is the right shape to tension without excessive flapping so it won't work as well as some kites, but prove me wrong.
Faxie wrote:
dtmt wrote:Anyone tried making their own? Mono strut - that is. Just remove both outer struts on an E3,4,5 & see how it works? I have an old E3 7M I'm seriously thinking about trying .... just curious if anyone has tried already? There was a thread on KF about doing it & it seemed some folks had gotten decent results with other brands.
I saw that thread, and I'm thinking of doing the same thing with my E3 9m. Little damage on the strut and 300+ hrs of flight, so I got a V4 9m and will experiment with the V3 :mrgreen:
Post Reply