Any Single Strut kite news?

General Discussions
fluidity

Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:46 pm

queneseb wrote:I think we dont need especially a single or strutless kite in strong wind, we just need a smaller one !
Absolutely agree!

less struts = lighter, poorer shape control, poorer depower. Look for a lot of leading edge attachment points on the new Switch mono strut to combat this(like the Nitro)

More struts=heavier, great shape control, excellent depower.

When you are out in 30 knot wind, you want a strong kite with good shape control.
Unsupported regions are going to be subject to fluttering and high wear rates when the bar is out or depower pulled.
YakAttack

Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:45 am

Looks like Naish just released a single strut too that simply looks like the old Trip with a strut. Retail is $1600 for the 12m. Unbelievable. I can't wait until Switch releases theirs, but I'm willing to wait to ensure it's well tested and dialed in. I think the spider bridle will make a huge difference in the performance of maintaining the shape of the airframe as other no strut/single strut kites I've ridden fold at the wingtips when a hard turn or powered kiteloop is initiated.
Brett

Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:08 am

Do you really think 5 struts are beneficial or necessary on a 3.5m2 kite? I'd rather have a more nimble kite that responds more like a stunt kite and the brm 3.5m2 without struts performs beautifully in their videos for foiling. Though I'm holding out to see what switch can do as I think a single strut will enhance relaunch, depower, and other performance without weighing down the design too much.
Brett

Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:30 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/LEIapKGLZKs/[youtube]

People have been using 2.5-3.5m single strut trainer kites for affordable highwind. I don't think a heavy 3 or 5 strut small kite design would be beneficial. Hopefully switch can make a purpose built kite that will perform well in smaller sizes and not just light wind foiling.
queneseb

Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:39 pm

5 strut not especially necessary, 3 strut can do the job too..

Defi Kite in France = 60 knot.. axel mazella on 3.5 Fone Bantdit (3strut) 12m line lenght...
My Referral Code: 100485
(Use my Code 100485 when Sign up or Buying on switchkites.com and obtain benefits, Rewards + Naked women !!)
Kent

Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:06 am

I can't wait to see some one strut Switch kites to go with my new foil.
Put me down for a 5 and 12 (or equivalent) that should be all I need to give me a huge range on a hydrofoil especially with some different length lines.
:D
Perth, Western Australia
borist

Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:25 am

Airush Ultra is yet another addition to one strut kites. Field is getting crowded. http://airush.com/2017/kites/ultra/
huili88

Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:58 am

The dyneema skeleton sounds pretty interesting.
SwitchGreg

Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:50 am

Just my two cents, I don't care how many struts it has. I just want a small kite. I will trust Bill and the team to get it right.

I just came in from a session on the foil with the 5m Element. It was joyous. Pure fun. Small kites rock, especially on a foil.

A single strut small kite makes sense to me because the unsupported area of a small kite is tiny. You don't need a lot of struts when the gaps between are small. The leading edge would be proportionally large and the sweep of the tips would form a lot of the shape. As long as there's enough strut/s to assist relaunch and keep the canopy off the ground then I'm happy.

I don't want a no strut kite. They're ugly. The canopy sits on the ground and gets dirty.
Faxie

Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:34 pm

huili88 wrote:The dyneema skeleton sounds pretty interesting.
Will give a ballooning effect eventually, not to mention that repairs will be hell. It's never a good idea to mix materials with different stretch properties. A completely hmwpe woven cloth would work a lot better. Problem is, that stuff is very expensive.

I see Airush kites on one of my homespots regularly, and they flutter just as much as other kites.