Any Single Strut kite news?

General Discussions
YakAttack

Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:37 am

I think those are good sizes as I have 9m and 12m strutless kites (Cloud and Trip) for foiling. However, at my local foiling spot there are many 10 knot days when I wish I had a slightly larger kite, thus the suggestion for a 12.5m or 13m for water starts, riding downwind and jumping. A 12m could be good as long as the kite has a large projected area and is light enough to stay in the air during lulls down to 7 knots.

Doing old-school freestyle on a foil and jumping big in lighter winds are what make foiling so fun. I'm excited to see how the kite jumps. In the single strut category the mono is pretty decent for jumping, so if you can best that thumbs up!

Regarding the Helium, i'd purchase the 15.5m helium for foiling in low however I've found another brand of 15m kite becomes overpowered too quickly once riding at on a beam reach on a race board in 10mph wind speeds so I'd like to hear what others think of foiling on the Helium.
thomashorton

Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:41 am

I would suggest a size that would permit an 80kg rider to foil in 8-10 knots of wind. North indicates that their 12m Mono kite can accomplish this. If Switch's 12m Mono strut kite can accomplish this, then 12m for Switch's largest size Mono strut kite is OK.
YakAttack

Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:13 am

I've foiled my friend's Mono in 11mph winds and it was good. That kite has way better upper end than the trip and it boosts too. It's also fun to ride on a twintip too. Hopefully, the new single strut will be a good all-rounder too.
SwitchGreg

Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:48 am

Just adding to this thread in the hope the Switch team are monitoring it. I am currently riding my foil with my Element 5 10m as my biggest kite down to 12-15 knots. If the trees behind the beach are moving at all then I can ride and have fun. Sometimes the transitions can be a little sketchy if I stop and lose apparent wind.

I am waiting for the arrival of the Switch single strut kite before I make my next purchase. Depending on how it turns out I'll get a single strut, or choose a Helium 2, or wait for a Helium 3 (if that presents itself).

I want to get foiling in winds down to just under 10 knots. Super light wind is not the main requirement. It's more about being able to keep riding safely when the wind drops down a couple of knots. That requirement also means I want to be able to ride safely when the wind picks up a few knots. Riding in a steady 10 knots means you need to be able to handle winds down to 5-6-7 knots (at least to keep the kite in the air with a little skill), and winds up to about 17 knots (perhaps with the kite at zenith and the bar all the way out).

There's some debate on the beach about whether we need 15m+ kites. The general feeling is that would be preferable to have a smaller kite that is powerful and easy to fly with a lot of range over a huge kite with lots of low end and not much top end.
barrywind

Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:28 pm

My only comment, after spending a week in La Ventana and watching quite a few foilers, but with essentially zero foil experience myself...
When the wind hit about 22 knots and higher, there were quite a few guys using kites 7M and smaller. Maybe a future 5.5 or 6 M...?
Switch Design wrote:Hello YakAttack and Others:
Quick question. Our current thinking is to make 7, 9 &12sqm sizes. We plan to keep the 15.5 & 18sqm Helium models. The MonoStrut versions are strictly intended for hydrofoiling. Any thoughts on these sizes?
Thanks!
Thankfully I've only got one Switch kite in my quiver, a 15.5m Helium2. Send a PM if you want to buy it.
My Referral code = Sorry, No Longer a Pimp for Switch :(
-Barry
SwitchGreg

Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:56 am

Switch Design wrote:Hello YakAttack and Others:
Quick question. Our current thinking is to make 7, 9 &12sqm sizes. We plan to keep the 15.5 & 18sqm Helium models. The MonoStrut versions are strictly intended for hydrofoiling. Any thoughts on these sizes?
Thanks!
What sort of wind ranges are you expecting for the 12m single strut?

Our current thinking is that a 12m lightweight kite would be the optimum for light wind foiling. The main requirement would be for it to sit in the air through rider errors and lulls, but have sufficient power to get off the beach. The most common rider error is to lose line tension on the exit to a gybe. If the kite drifts back it can usually be recovered. If not, we swim. We also want a good top end so we can keep riding if the wind picks up, as it often does.

A question for Switch Design, do you see the single strut 12m and the Helium 2 15m a complementary kites? Do you think keen riders would have both kites? Or are the kites aimed at different uses? ie. The Helium 2 as a grunty kite for bigger guys and TT riding. The 12m single strut for lighter weight riders and foil riding.

Another question. The North Mono is being touted as a very good surf kite because its light weight gives it a lot of downwind drift. Is that part of your intention for the single strut kite? My riding is now 90% foiling with 10% waves on a surfboard. I quite like the idea of a 12m single strut that suits both purposes.

I currently ride my Element 5 10m with my mate who has a 14.5m Ocean Rodeo Flite. The effective difference seems to be that he can get going off the beach more easily but gets a bit overpowered sooner. I can struggle to get off the beach but once I am moving there's not a lot of difference. The top end of the 10m is much higher than the 14.5, it's doable to just under 20 knots.

Above 20 knots I am riding my Element 5 5m. It is pure joy to carve large wind swell with a kite with lots of depower and drift. There's definitely a need for very small kites. I can see myself having a 3.5m in the future. I don't know if it's worth having duplicate sizes in all the different models.

One thing about light wind foiling, we have had beautiful glassy conditions with 10-15 knots winds. You can do anything you want on a foil on that water. The only limiting factor is the fear of dropping the kite. Locking the foil in and going a fast as possible is pure joy. I can see the attraction of a high performance LEI or foil kite for those conditions. Still a bit wary of the cost of foil kites and the risk of swimming in.

Either way, with all this stuff you need to help us choose the products we need for the intended use. Detailed descriptions for each use and kite selector apps are always nice.
kitebot

Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:39 pm

I am still anxious to hear a release date for the single strut. With the winter/spring kite season in full effect here on the west coast of Canada I gave up waiting for the 11m and purchased a competitor's product. I'm hoping I don't have to do the same for an 8-9m kite.
borist

Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:24 pm

Switch Design wrote:Quick question. Our current thinking is to make 7, 9 &12sqm sizes. We plan to keep the 15.5 & 18sqm Helium models. The MonoStrut versions are strictly intended for hydrofoiling. Any thoughts on these sizes?
Thanks!
12 & 9 are good choices for HF. I would go 6m next size down. With foil it is easy to cross 3m gap and 6m size should give us a bit of more upper range. Going from 9 to 6 is matter of 2-3 knots in wind speed increase. In other words, I'm still very comfortable on 9m when I can get my 6m and have a great session. This is pretty much what I'm using now, 11m foil kite for very low end, lei 9m most of the time and lei 6m when wind hits 13kt or higher. I'm talking about freeride HF of course.
12m being the best size for low end? Well we can argue this until next year with good arguments for and against, but with Helium on offer, 12m is a safe bet.
queneseb

Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:35 pm

Hi Team,

12 / 9 / 7 sqm sound great for mono, a 5 or 5.5sqm should be great to complete that stuff.. maybe should should thought about smaller kite, like 4 or 3.5sqm (element or Nitro or Mono ?) because it's necessecary on HF. For example in France, during a Hydrofoil competition i was on 7m² Nitro5 + 15m line in 30-35knot gusty (leucate) when other people was on 5 strut 5sqm or 4sqm.. So it was hard !

Think about smaller kite for strong wind and hydrofoil use
My Referral Code: 100485
(Use my Code 100485 when Sign up or Buying on switchkites.com and obtain benefits, Rewards + Naked women !!)
Brett

Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:48 am

You say these are intended solely for hydrofoiling, but how well will these work in the waves and drift? I like my 5m and 9m element 4 kites for both waves and freeride foiling, but I'm looking for a 7m for both as my 7m nitro 4 is too heavy and slow for both. I'd either like the weight of the new element to be as light and responsive as possible or the single strut to be also capable as a wave kite if possible. Thanks