Nitro 6 Reviews !

General Discussions
fluidity
Posts: 124
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:43 am
Location: Wellington/Porirua New Zealand

Fri May 04, 2018 8:20 am

Personally I don't think the kite is the issue for a Nitro hinden-burging.
I think it's a user experience/training issue. I live in Wellington area NZ and it's known for being very gusty. If you launch or land with the kite directly over head then it is asking for trouble. At the very least, let the weight of the bar pull the back lines down slightly. In gusty spots you need to launch and land with the kite down sideways a bit, easy to simply aim for about 45 degrees. That way if there's a lull then the kite will drop more sideways and have less tendency for the leading edge to dive. I've actually had more issues with my old element 4 hinden-burging from having the kite overhead launching/landing as a newb until I figured it out.

And if I jump and bring the kite too far back past overhead then it's likely the kite will take a dive... I don't like my element 4 any more after flying nitros and also trying a new Element 6.
hongchew
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:21 pm

Fri May 04, 2018 9:48 am

DIALS wrote:Yep..Ive had my 12m Nitro 6 Hindenberg too..When fling over head 12 o clock it wants to fly over me...as in behind me...Tried all settings to no avail...In fact Ive had it drop outa the sky 2outa 3 sessions in this manner and hit the tarmack and made shyte ot the leading edge...7 repair patches now on LE....Never had it happen to any other kite....but in saying that my 9m Nitro 6 is a different kite all together....no problems with that at all and it steams up wind...My New Nitro 6 ,12m is now not worth half its value due to the repairs from Hindenberging......Sucks...Should have got a different kite in a 12m...
Amen to that, love my 8m N4. May be smaller sizes for Nitro are much better behaved..
Faxie
Posts: 718
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:38 pm

Mon May 07, 2018 11:25 pm

fluidity wrote:Personally I don't think the kite is the issue for a Nitro hinden-burging.
I think it's a user experience/training issue. I live in Wellington area NZ and it's known for being very gusty. If you launch or land with the kite directly over head then it is asking for trouble. At the very least, let the weight of the bar pull the back lines down slightly. In gusty spots you need to launch and land with the kite down sideways a bit, easy to simply aim for about 45 degrees. That way if there's a lull then the kite will drop more sideways and have less tendency for the leading edge to dive. I've actually had more issues with my old element 4 hinden-burging from having the kite overhead launching/landing as a newb until I figured it out.

And if I jump and bring the kite too far back past overhead then it's likely the kite will take a dive... I don't like my element 4 any more after flying nitros and also trying a new Element 6.
I agree it's user error mostly.
hongchew
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:21 pm

Tue May 08, 2018 12:24 am

Faxie wrote:
fluidity wrote:Personally I don't think the kite is the issue for a Nitro hinden-burging.
I think it's a user experience/training issue. I live in Wellington area NZ and it's known for being very gusty. If you launch or land with the kite directly over head then it is asking for trouble. At the very least, let the weight of the bar pull the back lines down slightly. In gusty spots you need to launch and land with the kite down sideways a bit, easy to simply aim for about 45 degrees. That way if there's a lull then the kite will drop more sideways and have less tendency for the leading edge to dive. I've actually had more issues with my old element 4 hinden-burging from having the kite overhead launching/landing as a newb until I figured it out.

And if I jump and bring the kite too far back past overhead then it's likely the kite will take a dive... I don't like my element 4 any more after flying nitros and also trying a new Element 6.
I agree it's user error mostly.

Funny you said so, because plenty of other kites don't let you make such "errors". Reminds me of some other devices with poorly designed user interface, which the maker casually blames every complaint the user reported as user error.
Faxie
Posts: 718
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:38 pm

Wed May 09, 2018 8:18 pm

hongchew wrote:
Faxie wrote:
fluidity wrote:Personally I don't think the kite is the issue for a Nitro hinden-burging.
I think it's a user experience/training issue. I live in Wellington area NZ and it's known for being very gusty. If you launch or land with the kite directly over head then it is asking for trouble. At the very least, let the weight of the bar pull the back lines down slightly. In gusty spots you need to launch and land with the kite down sideways a bit, easy to simply aim for about 45 degrees. That way if there's a lull then the kite will drop more sideways and have less tendency for the leading edge to dive. I've actually had more issues with my old element 4 hinden-burging from having the kite overhead launching/landing as a newb until I figured it out.

And if I jump and bring the kite too far back past overhead then it's likely the kite will take a dive... I don't like my element 4 any more after flying nitros and also trying a new Element 6.
I agree it's user error mostly.

Funny you said so, because plenty of other kites don't let you make such "errors". Reminds me of some other devices with poorly designed user interface, which the maker casually blames every complaint the user reported as user error.
I guarantee you, I can make any kite hindenburg if I want to.

It's just the nature of kites. In a gust your window gets bigger, kite flies forward, gust is gone, kite is suddenly out of the window. Combine that with low aoa (sheeting out) so the thrust is higher and voila. Some kites do it easier than others due to different aerodynamic center and mass distribution in relation to the towpoints, but it's still user error. The Nitro is a high performance kite that goes very well upwind and is fast, so it's easier to hindenburg. So don't let it sit a 12 (btw, you shouldn't do that with any kite) and keep tension in the lines.

If it falls after a jump, learn to downloop or keep it moving at least during descent. Your window shifts forward instantly when you hit the water.

About your comparison: If you drive a Lambo and fly out of the corner when you hit the throttle, is it the car's fault?
MAC
Posts: 102
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:24 pm
Location: Long Beach Island NJ

Wed May 09, 2018 11:12 pm

I guarantee you, I can make any kite hindenburg if I want to.
Agreed, I have been flying the Nitro 5 and 6's 10M, 12M, 16M for several years, I have never had a problem with the kite falling out of the air, never.

1.Always keep your lines tight lines, 2. Never let the kite get behind you. 3. redirect quickly on jumps.
Can I make it fall...without a doubt, but like Faxie says I can make any kite drop just some are easier to get to overfly, especially in shitty conditions. With the Nitro a gust hits and the kite will race to the edge of the window, use the board edge & line tension to keep the kite where you want it.
During jumps redirect quickly it or you'll be in front of it and it will drop.
Lower aspect kites don't move as fast through the window, hence less chance of overflying.
Me personally I really like the way the Nitro fly's, it performs well and go where you direct it, you just got to know what to expect and know your kite.
I have so much enjoyment with these kites its hard for me to understand why someone would not like it or have problems with it.
Sorry your not enjoying the Nitro 6 they are really something special especially for the price

Just my silly experience and opinion.

MAC
icedub
Posts: 63
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:34 pm

Mon May 14, 2018 10:12 pm

I agree that my issues with the Nitro are largely user error. I will say that my primary kite spot is Lake Champlain, VT, and it is extremely gusty. I've been kiting for 4+ years and am used to dealing with squirley winds. I've mainly been flying Elements this whole time, so perhaps this is a difference in the way the Element handles vs. the Nitro, though I also had a 12m Mutiny S2 and a 6m Ben Wilson Surf Noise along the way.

The Nitro was the first kite this ever happened consistently to me on. I did have a friend fly the kite who has been kiting 5+ years and his impression of the Nitro was also negative- he didn't like how high it flew in the window and experienced the same inversion issue. I think the difference with the Element is that when it does hit a lull it stays upright. The nitro would start flipping over almost immediately and be upside down before I had much time to react. Kiteboarding is a humbling sport, and I am sure that this is a combination of my experience with only Elements combined with some other user error.

Either way, I've ordered a 12m Element6 which should be arriving any day now. if anyone wants a great deal on a hardly used Nitro6 12m, see http://switchkites.com/headquarters/for ... =11&t=3853 and get in touch
DIALS
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:13 am

Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:36 pm

Beware of Manufacturing faults on the Nitro 6....Dont purchase until these are addressed because Switch wont stand behind their Warranty ....They just say DIY man....and get on with it... :twisted:
Faxie
Posts: 718
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:38 pm

Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:40 pm

If it's a manufacturing fault, how come so much people are reporting no issues whatsoever in that particular topic?
DIALS
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:13 am

Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:56 pm

Faxie wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:40 pm
If it's a manufacturing fault, how come so much people are reporting no issues whatsoever in that particular topic?
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3825
Post Reply