Kite Confusion: 13m Element vs 12m Nitro vs. 15.5m Helium?

General Discussions
mbevo

Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:24 am

Haven't ridden the Element but both Nitro and Legacy you can hold an unreal amount of wind by edging hard or toeside charging toward the kite - they are not good drifters so it dumps all the power. They work extremely well in super gusty conditions when you want to rig towards the big lulls and ride out the gusts. Legacy relaunch > Nitro.
Eugene

Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:34 pm

I tried opposite front line method yesterday orso, works pretty fast. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zxje1acn2p0
Kites: Nitro V6 10m, Element V3 9m & Legacy v2 9m
Bar: 2x Controller3
Boards: Twintip MJ Comp V2 140x43
icedub

Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:47 am

Thanks All!
kite*hawk wrote:I would either go Nitro 12M or 13M element.
I really appreciate everyone's input. I’m about 80% of the way there on the Nitro. From reading the reviews, it seems that one or two people mentioned that the performance on the low end is not as great as they had hoped. That makes me hesitate, since I’d be flying the kite in it’s “low end” most of the time (hoping for 13-18 mph or so).. Any thoughts?

Just to complicate things, a local rider is selling his v5 13m element that just has a few sessions on it. If I can get a really good deal, I might just go with it. If I order a new kite from Switch, it'll be a Nitro.
Eugene

Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:40 am

Nitro gives more lift. I read that 13m Element gives about the same low end as 12m Nitro, Nitro will get you faster through the water. I have also an Element v3 9m and bought a Legacy then you start to notice that it doesn't give enough lift and other things, you have to pull really hard on the bar before landing in light winds which is not the case with the Nitro. Although you are more then 30 kilograms lighter then me, v3 12m would be a little heavy for you. But they made the new Nitro so much lighter. How many kitebars do you have, an extra or spare bar always comes in handy ? Nitro is the newest kite from Switch, isn't it ? I think the construction is very good. Isn't this 1 strut kite more for foiling ? I have a North Rhino 2009 10m which is also without a center strut, pretty much the only old quiver kite which I have that still flys.
Kites: Nitro V6 10m, Element V3 9m & Legacy v2 9m
Bar: 2x Controller3
Boards: Twintip MJ Comp V2 140x43
MAC

Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:18 pm

This weekend I was on several Switch Kites, Nitro 5 12m Nitro 5 16m and Helium 2 18. The wind started out around 15-20 mph I was on the 12 Nitro, wind dropped to 10-15 I jumped on the Helium 2 18 and later switched to the Nitro 16 buy far I had the most fun and best session on the Nitro 16.
Primarily I ride Nitro s, I ride mostly in the Ocean with small to chest high waves, mostly on 135 TT sometimes on a Celiartas 5-8 SB
I currently own 10M 12M & 16M all Nitro 5, I previous owned Nitro 3 & 4 and 11M Element.
I went through a similar drill when trying to decide what kite to buy for lighter winds. I was able to ride the Helium 18 this without a doubt is a kite that would get me out in the lightest wind possible 8-10mph, very user friendly and stable but for me was kind of boring. After a good long session I preferred the Nitro's characteristics, Faster, more direct power, more fun, knowing I would not get the lowest wind but for me i was ok with that.
Jumping on the Helium was no where near the fun as with my Nitros, I spoke with Felix and he agreed the Nitro 16 would be a good choice for me that's when I decided to buy the Nitro 16m, This kite has never let me down in light wind (10-15 mph) I kinda feel the same way with the Elements, my riding style is more old school freeride.
I can ride my Nitro 12 in 12MPH with a 135 TT I'm 175lbs I prefer to be powered so I ride the 16M, I will usually put the 12 up if the wind is 15mph or more. here's my wind guide, yours will be based on your weight and board preference. The Nitro 12M would be a fun kite for lighter winds, but not the ultimate light wind kite. Do you want the ultimate light wind inflatable kite? (helium) or do you want a kite for lighter wind? (Nitro) a kite that exciting to fly and boost high with soft landings for your weight 10-18mph
+10mph Nitro 16
+15 mph Nitro 12
+20 mph Nitro 10
Hope this helps..
MAC
icedub

Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:38 pm

Eugene wrote:The Nitro 12M would be a fun kite for lighter winds, but not the ultimate light wind kite.
Okay, this did it for me! Nitro 12m it is. If I lived on the coast where the wind was super stable 10mph, I'd go Helium, but this lake (champlain) does not have steady wind very often. Maybe I'll expand to a 5 kite quiver and add a 15.5m Helium later, if I find that I still want more low range than what the nitro can provide. Here's what I rode in yesterday, from 1-2pm. I think 12m Nitro would have been perfect:

Also, MAC, you probably know some friends of mine if you ride at LBI... I'll be there in July!

Thanks all for your input!
MAC

Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:29 pm

Icedub,

Looking at that wind graph, you could have rode the 10 Nitro and had a blast except the lull before 4:00, I would have been on the 12M
Lets ride when your here in July, who are your friends?

MAC
icedub

Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:28 pm

MAC wrote:Icedub,

Looking at that wind graph, you could have rode the 10 Nitro and had a blast except the lull before 4:00, I would have been on the 12M

MAC
I sent you a DM, but I'm not sure if that actually works in this forum. Do you know Rob Menet or Kris Werkely or Mike Smith? I usually go to Hatteras with them and have ridden a few times in Ship Bottom. I'll be at LBI the week of July 24th
icedub

Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:28 pm

MAC wrote:Icedub,

MAC
I sent you a DM, but I'm not sure if that actually works in this forum. Do you know Rob Menet or Kris Werkely or Mike Smith? I usually go to Hatteras with them and have ridden a few times in Ship Bottom. I'll be at LBI the week of July 24th
MAC

Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:35 pm

icedub wrote:I sent you a DM, but I'm not sure if that actually works in this forum. Do you know Rob Menet or Kris Werkely or Mike Smith?
Just saw it, sent you a PM
MAC