Nitro 5 relaunch tips?

General Discussions
queneseb

Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:46 pm

Hey !

Tips to relaunch in marginal/light Wind for every kite --> THIS TECHNIQUE IS THE "OLDSCHOOL" ONE, Works for C shape and everykite

1- Trim your kite totaly
2- Swim fast to your kite, it gonna roll on his back
3 - One ear gonna be up, other gonna be down
4 - Pull the back line with the upper ear.
5- YOU RELAUNCH !
My Referral Code: 100485
(Use my Code 100485 when Sign up or Buying on switchkites.com and obtain benefits, Rewards + Naked women !!)
DvB

Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:26 pm

I hear you, queneseb, this is a tried and tested method, but in calf deep water I have to run as fast as I can for a couple of meters to get the kite to roll onto its back, I don't think I can swim that fast. Have you tried this with the Nitro 5?
Andre

Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:52 pm

In deep water a good chance to loose the board. Dont drop it... ;)
Switch Design

Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:08 am

Hello:
In testing, we found little difference in relaunch N5 vs N4. Except, the N5 does not bridle wrap if the kite rolls. If you are doing a face-down relaunch in lighter (for the kite's size) conditions and it hangs up after taxiing to the edge, quickly reverse direction by pulling hard on the other rear line. The kite will accelerate the other way towards the center of the window and take off. This 'rocking' technique is very effective. If the wind is too light for a face-down relaunch, a traditional (on-the-back) 'C' kite technique will do it. If you are new to the Nitro, a good thing is to practice both techniques in unrestricted shallow water until you get a feel for it.
Cheers!
DvB

Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:44 am

I tried the rocking thing without success, maybe I wasn't aggressive enough. I'll test all of this out again this weekend. Maybe take a video or too.
queneseb

Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:41 pm

"C" technique works for everykite, everywhere, in every condition, should be learned at school !

@Dvb, just pull the trim totaly and swim fast on 3-4m, not very hard to do
My Referral Code: 100485
(Use my Code 100485 when Sign up or Buying on switchkites.com and obtain benefits, Rewards + Naked women !!)
kite*hawk

Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:54 am

It is the way i was taught way back in the day. Works every time unless the wind is just gone. Takes some hard swimming in a current. Another trick to add on to sebqueens method is to yank the bar over your head hard and throw it hard forwards(while hanging on ofcourse) and swim like a mother! Like Seb said this stuff is educational and should be taught at the time of a lesson so take lessons from a good school and do them all!!! not just one or 2 but the amount they recogmend to be a self sufficient kiter!
YakAttack

Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:50 am

Agree 100%. The old school swim at your kite technique works great especially in light winds. It's too bad schools don't teach this technique any longer.
felix

Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:30 pm

Hi Guys
I have performed test with both kites v4 and v5 in marginal conditions .
Both perform equally as well. Sometimes finding that the spider bridal helped speed up the process.

When relaunching a kite you have to remember its never the same every time.
You have a lot of things in the mix.
Wind strength, fluctuations in the breeze . Current and then come technique for all the different Elements.
If you are having issues with relaunching and are new to the game and have had little experience . Advise from a
rider that has been riding for a while will come in handy.

I have personally found that not every kite on the market has the same trick to a fast relaunch.
Few super light wind tips to relaunch a kite in very marginal conditions would be reverse launch.
Then like others have commented in here is swim towards it till its close to being on its back then pull the one line . (old school) Never fails in very light wind. Takes some skill and timing .

A good tradesmen never blames his tools.
Practice makes perfect.
With a bit of it you will be relaunching like a pro.
Regards
Felix
DvB

Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:42 am

Hi, thanks for all of the tips so far. Why I posted this was that I'm not an inexperienced kiter, and I was looking for some constructive tips on making the relaunch (of the Nitro5) easier in marginal conditions. Of all the kites that I have owned and flown, It seems to me that the Nitro 5 has the most downwind pull when it is leading edge down, and I personally found that this made it difficult for me to get the kite to roll onto its back, it just seemed to follow me downwind no matter how hard I swam. I started kiting in 2006, maybe not as long as some of you, but I have had a fair amount of experience with different kites, both inflatables and foils. One thing I tried last weekend, and that no-one mentioned (and it has made the standard relaunch a lot easier), was moving the steering line attachments on the kite to the fastest steering position, from the middle position I had them in previously. It is a small change, but definitely helped with the relaunch.

Thanks Felix, for your direct feedback on the Nitro 4 and 5. As you said, not all kites are the same.