The Legacy is Amazing.

General Discussions
SimonP

Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:46 am

I had my first go on a 10m Legacy today. The wind was initially only 12 knots and I could cruise OK on a large surfboard. It stays in the air better than a 11m Combat as it is lighter. I did get a bit of back-stalling on gybes but that was probably user error and trim.
The wind came up to 15 knots, max gust probably 17, and I could do some basic unhooked spins and kite-loops. There is less slack that the Combat but the pull is not that hard. It seems to help doing raleys as I could hang off the bar more and get the board higher behind me. The bar pressure is lighter but you still know where the kite is. I was using a shorter cut-down bar and it was fine. If I was on the Combat I would have been on a longer bar and still would need my hands further apart for sineing the kite. I sent the kite a few times and was impressed how high I went.
Overall, I was very impressed, I would love to try it in 20 knots.
Switch Design

Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:34 pm

Hello Simon:
Glad you like the Legacy! I'm curious about your set-up? 5 or 6 line? Pop or De-Power wingtip setting? Line/bar lengths? The major goal in development with Marc was more slack. He says it has more slack than most any other kite - especially the Combat or hard-lined Nitro. Makes double HP's easy even in difficult conditions or sketchy take-offs. Hope you can get it in more wind and let us know more???
Cheers!
YakAttack

Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:53 pm

Give it a go in 20, the lines slack nicely with well executed pop even on the depower setting.
SimonP

Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:16 am

Hi Bill,
The kite is Daniel's with a stock 5 line setup and a shorter than normal bar. I was in suboptimal conditions, 15 knots on a 10m so I had to bear away to build up enough speed to pop. The slack may well become more apparent in more wind. What impressed me was that I could have so much fun in so little wind. Sometimes the low end is compromised to extend the top end of a kite's performance (the Naish X2,X3,X4 is an example) but I don't think that has happened here.
The 9m Combat was the magic size in the quiver and it wouldn't surprise me if the 10m is the one for the Legacies. I am curious as to whether the 12m Legacy is more lively than the 11m Combat, which can feel heavy and slow in light winds. I would love to have a full set of Legacies but my Combats are still in pretty good nick. Bridled kites tend to suffer from bridle line stretch over time but C kites only need occasional subtle adjustments to the fifth line.
YakAttack

Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:32 am

Loving the Pop setting on these kites. I feel like Batman with the extra "pow!" it gives. Jumps are a bit more explosive and the kite still depowers nicely.
djbear33k

Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:40 am

I would switch my nitro 4s for the legacy but i have invested in them now.
queneseb

Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:42 pm

Hi all.

Just recept my legacy 12m² (BLACK FRIDAY POWER :mrgreen: ) .. I already own or ride Combatv1/v2 /Nitro 1-2-3-4-5 :mrgreen: / Element 1-2-3 and now LEGACY !

So like you i found the legacy amazing, I use it in 20m line, easy, lot of power, lots of slack line, stable, easy to relaunch for a "C" 5th line.

If i 'm allowed to compare it with another C kite, i gonna talk about vegas, for me both look and feel very similar. This kite is perfect to land unhook tricks and learn new tricks.
Inconvenient/Advantage Loop are slow but kite don't move when he is at 45° in unhook tricks. Gonna use my nitro for Loop session ;)

Cheers
My Referral Code: 100485
(Use my Code 100485 when Sign up or Buying on switchkites.com and obtain benefits, Rewards + Naked women !!)
BamBam

Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:25 pm

The legacy is the best wakestyle kite I have used to date (I have the 12m and 10m). Seriously, I'm not trying to sound like a hype pimping guy. I'm very picky with my kites and I've been using mostly C-kites since 2004. The legacy does everything a wakestyler is looking for: big pop and good slack, with some added benefits.

Surprisingly, the bar pressure is veeery comfortable which is something you don't find on freestyle C kites and the relaunch ability is there. Using the combat v1 as a reference the low end improved 5 to 10% and the high end 15 to 20%. It can really hold down stronger winds.

Only a couple of comments for people contemplating on getting this kite. You have to pump this kite quite a bit since the LE is somewhat slim. This will aid the relaunch ability. I even got a pump gauge to find the sweetspot and have found that the 12m likes to be between 9 - 10 psi and the 10m 8 - 9 psi.

If you ride hooked in most or all of the time and like to boost, loop or waveride don't get this kite, the Nitro or element are a better fit for that. Similarly, if you like to unhook a lot, don't get the nitro since it is really boosty, get the legacy. The turning arc of the legacy is very big, especially when you have some tension on the lines. If you want to narrow the arc while jibing for example, bear downwind to decrease tension on the lines as you turn the kite from one side to the other. What this means to you is that it may not be your best choice as a looping kite, like queneseb mentioned, although you can loop the smaller sizes on the legacy.

All in all, the legacy does extremely well what it was design to do. So it all comes down to the rider choosing the right tool for the job. If you excel in more than one discipline, you will prob need a couple of different kite models. I used the legacy for some waveriding, but it was not as enjoyable as a wave specific kite. That's why I'm getting ready to get some elements for that.

I hope this helps, enjoy!
mbevo

Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:06 am

Sorry for digging this up but just want to say I continue to be impressed by my Legacy v1s. Have 8m and 14m.

Rode the 14m today in 22mph gusting 30 without even having to pull in the depower. Boosts are amazing. Weighing only 140lbs I would of been easily overpowered on my 10m rpm at same wind range. And the other day able to ride 8mph gust 14mph and still have fun.

The range is absolutely insane, bigger than my 14m Nitro V4.

The 8m is good from 25 till 45+ gusts.
Faxie

Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:12 pm

I got the V1 10m and 14m now. Very impressed with them :D

Just have to get used to the looping... a lot more power than the Elements :roll: