Bar saftey issue

General Discussions
switched

Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:16 pm

I had one event 2months ago and thought it a possible fluke with the line sticking when the chicken loop safety was deployed and the single flag out line wouldn't go thru the swivel. Was using a short leash, bridle had wrapped back corner and kite was death looping dragging me partly underwater and couldn't see bar underwater w/ short leash. got lucky and on about 5th death-loop crash into water the bridle released.

last week happened 2 seperate times w/ the single safety flying line not getting pulled thru the swivel. kite had tumbled thru the big part of the bridle so looked like the kite was gonna get cut in half since it kept pulling on the bridle after the safety was activated. had to climb up single line to kill the kite and lucky no damage. 2nd time nothing drastic but makes it like kite is in suicide leash mode even after safety it triggered.

thinking about throwing the bar in the garbage and using another brand.

love the kites but sort the swivel out.
topmick

Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:20 pm

Why don't Switch just drop the swivel altogether? - It's obvious from reading on the forum here that there is a problem with its design. Airush,Ozone, North & others don't have swivels, their bars are just simple & safe.
I quite like the Controller3 bar but I plan to loose the swivel on mine so I'm absolutely sure the safety will work, if I need it.
Last edited by topmick on Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
borist

Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:25 pm

topmick wrote:Why don't Switch just drop the swivel altogether?
My sentiment exactly. Top swivel hardly ever works. Because of being constantly stuck my front line stretched unevenly and it became even more PITA. The last time I checked flagging front line it felt quite difficult to pull it thru. Under-the-bar swivel works great on Switch bar, no need for more complexity. Would be nice to get a retrofit part (like one that Best is using) for us who will be happy without top swivel.

I currently use 2014 Best bar I recently bought for a great price. I like that one a lot, front line/flag attachment is simple, light and works well. However their under-the-bar swivel is inferior to Switch

my $0.02
Ralph Switch Kites

Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:51 am

Hello Switched,
Could you please contact us at warranty@switchkites.com?
Thank you very much.
AlexPastor

Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:18 am

switched wrote:I had one event 2months ago and thought it a possible fluke with the line sticking when the chicken loop safety was deployed and the single flag out line wouldn't go thru the swivel. Was using a short leash, bridle had wrapped back corner and kite was death looping dragging me partly underwater and couldn't see bar underwater w/ short leash. got lucky and on about 5th death-loop crash into water the bridle released.

last week happened 2 seperate times w/ the single safety flying line not getting pulled thru the swivel. kite had tumbled thru the big part of the bridle so looked like the kite was gonna get cut in half since it kept pulling on the bridle after the safety was activated. had to climb up single line to kill the kite and lucky no damage. 2nd time nothing drastic but makes it like kite is in suicide leash mode even after safety it triggered.

thinking about throwing the bar in the garbage and using another brand.

love the kites but sort the swivel out.
:shock:
kite*hawk

Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:18 pm

Never had any of these issues and have been using switch bars from the beginning. I dont use the single line safety system as I feel it is more trouble than its worth. Regular safety system works fine. when you let go of the bar the kite falls slowly out of the sky. This gives you time to recover the kite before it hits the water. than if it hits the water there is still tension in the lines to relaunch. Any flag out system has the potential to get lines wrapped by the nature of the system ;)
kite*hawk

Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:18 pm

Never had any of these issues and have been using switch bars from the beginning. I dont use the single line safety system as I feel it is more trouble than its worth. Regular safety system works fine. when you let go of the bar the kite falls slowly out of the sky. This gives you time to recover the kite before it hits the water. than if it hits the water there is still tension in the lines to relaunch. Any flag out system has the potential to get lines wrapped by the nature of the system ;)
Faxie

Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:01 pm

It's not really the swivel that's the problem, but the splices on the frontlines that got a tiny bit bigger in diameter.

Never really had swivel issues with my first set of lines, but the issues started with an new set where the front line would get a bit more stuck in the hole, limiting the swivel function and needing more power for safety to work.

One other thing: See to it that the main depower line is not twisted too much. Safetyline will get stuck that way.
switched

Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:47 pm

Ralph Switch Kites wrote:Hello Switched,
Thank you very much.

I emailed and never heard a response
Faxie

Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:01 pm

switched wrote:
Ralph Switch Kites wrote:Hello Switched,
Thank you very much.

I emailed and never heard a response
They said they had some problems with a new spam filter, so maybe your mail didn't come through...