Controller 2 - does not flag on release

General Discussions
mcfly77777

Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:59 pm

I can confirm I have the same issue. I recently got the Controller 2 bar, but never had to eject. So last night I went to check the bar, and noticed that the line is sitting very tight in the swivel. I drilled the hole just a little bit higher. The part that gets caught and tight is the splice, the line outside the splice slips fine.

I'd say that this is a dangerous situation, given the many people reporting this. This might be enough reason to recall these swivels. I was happy that I read this and fixed it before I had to use it, but how many out there that don't read forums...

Leo
Faxie

Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:25 pm

It's not the swivel that's causing the problem, but the splices on the lines ;)
mcfly77777

Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:55 pm

It's not the swivel that's causing the problem, but the splices on the line
Well, the end result is that you can either replace the lines, replace the swivel, or drill a larger hole. Since I wanted to correct it right away, I drilled. As for what Switch can do, that's up to them (if they consider this an issue, that is).
Leo
islandson

Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:21 am

Had the same issues with the single line flag out setup, so I switched to mini fifth. 90% depower upon release. I customized my set up by adding oshit handles to the flying lines and one to the single line flagout line. The oshit on the centreline is waxed so if i have to grab and release it SHOULD flag. I am thinking of drilling it out though. I did not like the idea of having to reset my shit out in the deep with the single line flagout, too much mess, impractical. I like my setup and If the shit hits the fan and it fails me I will not hesitate to dump the whole ball of wax and figure it out later. Always remember your life is more important than a piece of equipment.
john251

Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:50 am

Just read this post and checked my bar and it does seem to be very hard to pull the line through by hand now that you mention it. I've never had to release before. Just to be clear, when you're talking about drilling a bigger hole, you're talking about drilling through the middle of the metal swivel that's above the bar? Just wondering because that sounds quite hard to do, but then that does seem to be where the line is getting stuck.
taiguy

Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:13 am

john251 wrote:Just read this post and checked my bar and it does seem to be very hard to pull the line through by hand now that you mention it. I've never had to release before. Just to be clear, when you're talking about drilling a bigger hole, you're talking about drilling through the middle of the metal swivel that's above the bar? Just wondering because that sounds quite hard to do, but then that does seem to be where the line is getting stuck.
They're talking about drilling the small hole that the center line passes through (and connects to the leash line). Jason mentioned using a 4mm bit.
islandson

Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:54 pm

taiguy wrote:
john251 wrote:Just read this post and checked my bar and it does seem to be very hard to pull the line through by hand now that you mention it. I've never had to release before. Just to be clear, when you're talking about drilling a bigger hole, you're talking about drilling through the middle of the metal swivel that's above the bar? Just wondering because that sounds quite hard to do, but then that does seem to be where the line is getting stuck.
They're talking about drilling the small hole that the center line passes through (and connects to the leash line). Jason mentioned using a 4mm bit.
You'd have to be pretty careful not to leave any metal burrs after drilling,
this could easily cut through the line going through it. You also run the
risk of weakening the metal around the hole itself from the heat created
and the material removed. Still on the fence about doing this myself.
mcfly77777

Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:57 pm

You'd have to be pretty careful not to leave any metal burrs after drilling,
this could easily cut through the line going through it. You also run the
risk of weakening the metal around the hole itself from the heat created
and the material removed. Still on the fence about doing this myself.
I'm talking about the small hole at the very top of the swivel. I agree I was concerned about drilling too much. I got a drill around 4mm and took very little metal out, and had plenty of additional metal around it. You can barely notice that anything was taken out. I then filed any burrs left so that there were no sharp edges in contact with the line. Seems now very smooth and still strong.

Leo