Controller 2 - does not flag on release

General Discussions
DangerLifter

Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:43 pm

HI, everyone.

Today was the first day when I have to quick release my Nitro V4 on controller v2. Reason was very usual, long bridle lines wrapped over kite's ear. But today they did it in more wily way. As I found on beach I had no one chance to restart kite again. But I was very surprised when I found that kite does not flag on single line after my quick release. Moreover it stayed powered lying on central balloon. Thanks i was on shallow water in pretty light wind. So I was able spent around 15 minutes trying to force it flag. I found that central line stuck in swivel hole. So I put a lot of pressure to get line out expecting that after more wide line part it goes better. But i was wrong. And actually I have to get out 3-4 meters of line through swivel manually. But after this I found kite in power position without ability easy wrap lines on bar for self-rescue. No way come to kite and grab it. So I had to walk in shallow water towards beach to get helped.

Thanks it was shallow Sri Lanka. Soon I am going back to Vietnam deep water and big waves and strong wind. And such kites behavior in that place means "bye-bye kite". As I see it is common issue (my friend has same issues with its own kite).
So is there any custom solution? Does it help if I try to make holes in swivel a bit more wider? And will Switch replace my kite+bar if I will have to fully release it because of this issue saving my life?

Overall. I am becoming pretty happy with my nitro v4.

But looooong bridle lines which wraps over kite on every third unhook crash, awful relaunch, short life of depower/trimmer line, not working safety make me less and less happy ;(
naishdude

Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:02 pm

Hi dangerlifter,

pretty sh :twisted: tty situation...l read somewhere about the same problem and the guy drilled the hole with a wider drill.
this helped him out.
I agree on your long bridle hate, l do hope Bill will read this too, the bridles are too long and not only on the Nitro, the Element V4 has the same problem, although l never had the problem, it may easelynoccur when you make a downloop and hit the water...a mistake, right, but who is not without.
Please Bill have a brainstorm on a shorter bridle for element as well as for Nitro.

Maybe future wise, offer a shorter bridle that will fit the element and people can choose from a wave bridle, alround bridle and freestyle bridle( if there is any difference in it) people could buy the extra bridle to tune their kite for the specified skills and goals

cheers
Dude :ugeek:
mbevo

Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:41 am

Looking forward to the legacy and the new bar - hopefully eliminate both problems.
taiguy

Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:23 am

Yea I've noticed this too. After my original lines got some wear on them it became a little bit easier to force it to flag but I would definitely count this as a design flaw and something that needs to be addressed in the next iteration of the bar or swivel (if we can retrofit it to the controller 2).
Andre

Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:51 am

You can drill the hole a little bit bigger (look that there are no sharp edges after drilling) or change the swivel (a wainman ceramic bearing swivel turns better an the holes für the frontlines are bigger with rounded stainless steel inserts). My Nitro 4 flags reliable with the wainman, even in very low winds it needs a short punch on the safety line to flag.
Alysum

Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:09 pm

I was also shocked to discover that the controller 2 bars don't flag out on single line when I had to QR once.... I wonder if it's to do with the knot on one of the central lines before the swivel? Is this normal?

Either way this is not good...we expect good safety systems from the controller 2 bars. With no manual it's hard to know what we're in for... Something switch needs to sort out. Safety should be #1 priority with any product.
E5 7m, E3 9m, H3 12m & Reo 9m
J. Kimbler

Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:06 pm

It seems like guys are all having trouble when the wind is super light, which doesn't really seem like a life threatening ordeal. My QR has a hard time flagging when the wind dies and self rescuing, but when it's that light it's easy to just grab the front line and pull the kite in. Every time I've used the QR in real wind, it has released flawlessly. Once was when I was lit on a 9m Naish Park, went big and landed hard which slacked the lines/line wrapped the bar= deathloop. Safety released perfectly. Other time was big surf where I had the kite down and it was about to get munched, released/flagged out just fine. I got the v2 bar pretty much when they first came out. This has been my experience with my bar, I'm perfectly happy with how it's performed and I feel completely safe using it.
mbevo

Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:21 am

J. Kimbler wrote:It seems like guys are all having trouble when the wind is super light, which doesn't really seem like a life threatening ordeal. My QR has a hard time flagging when the wind dies and self rescuing, but when it's that light it's easy to just grab the front line and pull the kite in. Every time I've used the QR in real wind, it has released flawlessly. Once was when I was lit on a 9m Naish Park, went big and landed hard which slacked the lines/line wrapped the bar= deathloop. Safety released perfectly. Other time was big surf where I had the kite down and it was about to get munched, released/flagged out just fine. I got the v2 bar pretty much when they first came out. This has been my experience with my bar, I'm perfectly happy with how it's performed and I feel completely safe using it.
Although it was light wind - when the kite is looping and dragging you to a wall of concrete in a matter of a couple seconds I wouldn't call it non-trivial. If I ditched my kite a couple seconds later I would probably end on the main road. It was quite scary in hindsight.

The swivel hole in the next version needs to be BIG. There are so many things like sand, seaweed, and looping kite that could make it harder to flag out and these should all be taken into consideration. I do not want a safety system that have even a chance of not releasing when you really need it to.
J. Kimbler

Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:17 am

If the kite had the power to pull you then yes it should absolutely release, mine always has. I wonder if there was a tolerance issue at the factory and only some have this problem. I always rig in the grass so sand and debris is not an issue in my case, wondering if that could be part of the problem as well.
Andre

Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:01 am

I belive in middle to higher winds when the kite pulls harder it flags out, look at 5:40min http://gleiten.tv/index.php/video/actio ... /page/345/
My v2 is from early 2015 and i had troble when selflanding it doesnt flag (have the same problem with my 2014 naish uni btb bar). I released my 12m Nitro with the original Swivel in 18-20 Knots and it flags out.
Anyway in my eyes the swivel over the bar is a general problem by every brand, i think a swivel under the bar and a ring/ring frontline safety (like the 2015 north bar) would be safer, even for selflanding with less kite pull. There is nothing (sand/weed...) what can block the ring system an no friction from the safety line inside the swivel.
Andre