Switchkites LEGACY kite used by MJ in PKRA Tarifa

General Discussions
BamBam

Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:14 pm

@Switchdesign, Felix or Marc

Just got my legacy's and was wondering what is the recommended way to set up the flag line. The standard way is the 5th line with 100% depower, which I would use as a suicide restricted to avoid having to do a reset after every bail. However, on my combats I used to use the mini 5th, which was great in most cases. Can the legacy depower well with the mini 5th?

I'm guessing I would have to come up with something to use as a stop for the 5th line since the set up only comes with one front line stop which I have to use for the power line with the flag line.

Any comments? Thanks!
2surf

Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:55 am

@BamBam - ok, so I'm not Felix or Marc.... but I wouldn't worry about using the mini 5th on the Legacy. I've had my 10m out several times now and run the standard 5th line, set up suicide at the chicken loop. I have yet to have an issue with it doing anything stupid or pulling too hard when I drop the bar. There's enough depower in the kite that I don't think you need any extra.
Corpus Christi, TX USA
Nitro3 6m, 14m | Nitro5 8m, 12m | Legacy 10m
YakAttack

Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:38 am

Hey Kynan. How are you liking the kite? I just got my 10m and am waiting for wind. Have you tried the 14m? If so what are your thoughts for riding it in 12 to 15 knots?
BamBam

Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:00 pm

@kynan How close do you have the regulator to the chicken loop? I use the regulator fairly close for ease trimming the kite, so I don't have a lot of depower on the bar.
Ralph Switch Kites

Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:02 pm

BamBam wrote:@Switchdesign, Felix or Marc

Just got my legacy's and was wondering what is the recommended way to set up the flag line. The standard way is the 5th line with 100% depower, which I would use as a suicide restricted to avoid having to do a reset after every bail. However, on my combats I used to use the mini 5th, which was great in most cases. Can the legacy depower well with the mini 5th?

I'm guessing I would have to come up with something to use as a stop for the 5th line since the set up only comes with one front line stop which I have to use for the power line with the flag line.

Any comments? Thanks!
Hello BamBam,
Controller2 and 3 can be set up with the mini 5th like your Controller 1 quite easily. Each bar comes with mini 5th line including a flying line stopper. Remove your single flag safety line from the front line, install the line stopper, attach the mini 5th to your swivel and you are ready to go.
This video should help:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6GY8XhwRL0
Start watching from 29 seconds.
The Legacy de-powers considerably better than the Combat and you will have no issues with this set up.
Have fun and enjoy the kite!
Cheers
YakAttack

Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:11 am

Yo Marc. Are riding suicide with your leash setup on the Legacy?

I used to ride all my old kites this way when doing wakestyle and was wondering how your setup is.
2surf

Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:17 am

@BamBam - I have my regulator pretty far away. Quite a bit of bar throw. Basically just at the end of my reach to grab the depower line. So, yeah, I could see if you have it pretty close potentially wanting to use a mini 5th. Still, lot of angle change in the kite when you push the bar out. Really nice depower capability.

@YakAttack - I like the kite a ton. No learning curve. Just flies really well. Only thing is low end - probably need 4-5 knots more on my 10m Legacy than my 10m Nitro3. Legacy really shines 18-30. Nitro just has such a massive range it's hard to compete with but the feel of the Legacy when fully powered is superior. I have only flown the 10m but I'd guess that the 12 or 14 would be usable below 15 knots.
Corpus Christi, TX USA
Nitro3 6m, 14m | Nitro5 8m, 12m | Legacy 10m
steinar

Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:29 am

Hi,

I'm considering the new Legacy in either the 12m or 14m size to start with, but I have a couple of questions that hopefully someone can help me with before I pull the trigger.

I am around 85kg and ride both a TT 134x42cm and a SB for lightwind. I started off with a 11m North Rebel and a 15m Dyno, and later got a 10m Vegas (all 2014) as I wanted to focus more on wakestyle. I also have 22m and 24m line 5th Element Bars. I would like to use the North 5th Element bars with the Legacy and in an earlier post it seemed that this may be possible.

1. What size Legacy would you recommend to complement the 10m Vegas? I find that the Vegas needs at least 20knots on my TT to get going properly. The winds in my area are predominantly around 13-20 knots during the summer and as such it doesn't get much use. What are the wind ranges of the 12m and the 14m respectively for my weight? Maybe even a 12m and 16m would be the ticket if/when the 16m arrives?

2. Will the higher V split on the 5th Element bar compared to the Controller 2/3 bar negatively affect the shape and flying of the Legacy?

3. Are the connections from the 5th Element bar compatible with the Legacy, or can they be made compatible? The 5th Element bar have loop connections on the 3 centre lines and knots on the steering lines which from the Legacy Instruction videos appear to be the opposite.

@ErikM: Did you end up getting a Legacy, and if so how did it work out with your North 5th Element bar?

Any help much appreciated!

Cheers,
Steinar
marcjacobskite

Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:44 pm

Hi steinar,

Currently the 14m legacy is our biggest kite we make for the Legacy range. I am 90kgs and can get going okay in 12knots and can hold it up to 25knots if i want too be lazy with changing kites and still have a good time on it :lol:

How many legacy's are you looking to buy?

If one you best bet is to go for the 14m Legacy because having a 10 and 14 this will pretty much cover you in all winds apart from violent storms.

I haven't tried the higher V /North Element bar on the legacy yet but i pretty sure it will all work fine. As i had a friend with his touch bar which has a high V line too ridding the legacy and it look fine to me.

yes the bar can be compatible you could swap the back line with the front or just make tiny front line pigtails which is pretty simple to do. we had to do the same for the touch bar as well.
YakAttack

Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:40 am

Thanks for the info Marc at 75kg I figure 11knots should be good for me. I will be likely picking up a 14m Legacy as well.