Switchkites LEGACY kite used by MJ in PKRA Tarifa

General Discussions
Switch Design

Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:00 pm

Here are the options:
1) Add a nose line to your Elements and fly them as 5 line kites. There is one generic nose line included with the 5th line kit. Make sure your 5th line is loose when flying the Elements since the kite is supported by the bridle.
2) Add a small pigtail to the 5th line hole in the swivel ring and place/remove the 5th line using the pigtail when you want a 5th line. Or, feed the 5th line through the hole each time you want it. The kite will still flag to a wingtip.
3) Use the flagging front line for the 5th if you want 5th line flagging and use the added line on the swivel ring for a front line. This will leave the swivel unbalanced which will likely limit the function.
4) Rebuild the bar with the flag line going through the 5th line hole in the swivel ring to balance it for 5th line use with center line flagging. This will disable it for a 4 line use or leave it unbalanced.

Of the above, #2 with a short pigtail on the swivel ring is by far the easiest. It is what we do when we are testing different set-ups.
Swedish Martin

Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:27 am

Great - thanks for the thorough reply!
Gibraltar | Referral code: 195888 | http://www.globalkitespots.com
ErikM

Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:00 pm

Maybe it would be useful for users, if Switch set up a how to picture like this? (photo credit 'North Vegas')

Or is this in fact the same as the switch kite set up?

Maybe some clarification on how to change between 4 line set up for Elements and 5 or 4/6 line set ups for Legacy. I am still a little confused about the set up, but think I will just buy the kite and use it on 5 line until I figure out how easily change to 4/6 line. Not ideal but with 30-day try before you buy, there's nothing to loose I guess.
BamBam

Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:05 pm

@Switch Design

The legacy sure looks like a great C kite. My all time fav has been the combat v1. The only reason I moved away from it was the relaunch, it was not bad but my spot needs a quicker relaunch. Where would you place the relaunch using the combat and element as reference?

Slack wise I'm not too concerned, if Marc likes it I see no reason why I shouldn't.

Sizes. My combat quiver was 13m and 9m. It worked well. What should I use for the legacy? Are you guys planning on bringing a legacy 9m? an 8m I rarely use since I tend to use c kites only for wakestyle, i don't go storm chasing anymore. Even a 9m I use sparingly, but they are useful to have. My money kite has always been a 12m or 13m depending on their low end. With the legacy should I go 12m and 10m? I know there's overlap but i don't see myself using an 8m anymore and on a 14m 10m quiver the 14m may be a bit much.

Thanks a lot!
Switch Design

Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:41 pm

Hello Bam:
Leagacy is pretty far from the C1. Relaunch is way better along with far better depower, lighter on the bar and better jumping. Slack is ridiculous compared to the Combat. Legacy is just a much better kite in almost, well, every way.

Regarding size choice, that is a tough question. Legacy is much easier than Combat at the upper end so the 14 would be a good substitute for a C1 13. Same for the 10 vs 9. Unless your conditions are mostly perfect 12, the extended range of the Legacy will open up your TOW on the 10/14 vs 10/12.

One thing is sure, once Marc tried the Legacy, he never flew a combat again...
Hope this helps!
Swedish Martin

Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:41 pm

Switch Design wrote:Here are the options:
1) Add a nose line to your Elements and fly them as 5 line kites. There is one generic nose line included with the 5th line kit. Make sure your 5th line is loose when flying the Elements since the kite is supported by the bridle.
2) Add a small pigtail to the 5th line hole in the swivel ring and place/remove the 5th line using the pigtail when you want a 5th line. Or, feed the 5th line through the hole each time you want it. The kite will still flag to a wingtip.
3) Use the flagging front line for the 5th if you want 5th line flagging and use the added line on the swivel ring for a front line. This will leave the swivel unbalanced which will likely limit the function.
4) Rebuild the bar with the flag line going through the 5th line hole in the swivel ring to balance it for 5th line use with center line flagging. This will disable it for a 4 line use or leave it unbalanced.
I went along and implemented solution 2. To compensate for the extra inch added by the pigtail I simply added another know one inch up on the 5th line bridle on the kite. Haven't tried it yet but should provide a really quick way to swap between my Legay and Elements with just one bar.

This is what it looks like:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zg7tjvuhlz1fk ... 8.jpg?dl=0
Gibraltar | Referral code: 195888 | http://www.globalkitespots.com
YakAttack

Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:45 pm

Hi,

I'm a long time Naish rider that started on c kites back in 2004 and switched to bridled Parks about 4 years ago. I am thinking about getting a quiver of Legacy but feel bad about abandoning my local shop. This being said however, new kites are way expensive and with kids I need to save my $.

Anyhow, I love going huge, throwing moves like powered double back roll kite loops, triple front rolls and going for the occasional back mobe or 313 when conditions are right. A few questions: for boosting what other kites might it compares to? Is the spinner reachable to untwist lines? How is unhooked load and pop in lower wind ranges? How is the kite on hard powered loops, does it stall or deliver continuous power?

Thanks for intel. About to pull the trigger.
Floyd Rose

Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:53 am

Hi Guys,

im in the need of some expertise and advice please.

Right now i own a Nitro3 8m and a Cab Switchblade 12m, which i both fly with the controller2 bar.
I am planning on filling the gap between those 2 kites with a 10m kite.
Here comes the difficulty for me - which one?

I am an beginner to intermediate rider, backrolls, backroll transitions with kiteloop, jumps, boardoffs is what i can do atm.
But iam hoping to progress further and do some unhooked stuff too.

So will Legacy make sense for me?
Or shall i wait for the Nitro5 which is in the pipeline? Can i get into unhooking/looping with the nitro5 too?
I figure, its not ideal to have 3 differnt kite models in your quiver, cause there is always an adjusting and "getting used to it" again feeling there. I feel that, switching between nitro and switchblade, but its not that big of a problem. Im good after a few mins usually.
Switchblade will be replaced by a switchkite in the longer run too, but as of now i can't go all crazy and buy 2 kites , so one to fill my gap has to suffice atm :)

So will Legacy or Nitro5 in 10m fill the gap for me?
Im a 175cm, 75kg rider. Winds im kiting in is from 15kts to 30kts on North and Baltic Sea.
Thanks alot !
marcjacobskite

Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:44 am

Hi Yakattack,

You will only be wasting more $$$ if you stick to Naish or other known brands. Switch started up to help get more of a younger crowd in the sport. I Had the same problem when i was a kid i couldn't afford a kite for 3 years and my board a year after so i miss out 4 years of kiting saving up for a rip off Naish 5.5 AR5 was the only kite i could afford in 2005 i don't know if you know that kite but it was the second generation Naish ever made and it was a horrible kite lol. End of the story is you don't need to was your money for a more known logo Brand when the kite and Materials aren't any better at all.

If you are already handle passing like you say doing back mobe's and 313 Legacy is 100% the way to go. the Legacy is the best mega looping kite i have used so far. Why? because it catches you super fast which gives you a second lift/boost when it catches you which feel's super nice. the 10m and 8m Legacy i can mega loop Beautiful on. the Legacy handles light and strong winds fine and does not stall. the Amazing thing about the legacy is i can rider super over powered on it and still mange to do my doubles on. Which in the pass with all my other kites and brands i could only do it in perfect conditions. The legacy is also a very fun kite for Big air trick like roll Spin's and board off and megaloops it really can do it all so i'm sure it will satisfy you. :)

Hope this helps please let me know if you need any other info

Cheers,

MJ
marcjacobskite

Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:58 am

Hi Floyd Rose,

I think the Nitro 4 or 5 will Suit with you much more, Why? because you will not have to adjust your bar at all between all the 3 kites. Both the nitro and Legacy loop and unhooked loop fine. The Nitro is a overall round better kite for big air style tricks. As soon as you start to unhooking more then you big air jump's and want to progress you unhook level more ever session then i will recommend going for the legacy but right now the Nitro is still your weapon of choose.

hope this helps.

MJ