Quiver connundrum: Element 5 or 7?

General Discussions
onarope

Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:39 am

Width is more important than length. I'm about 70kg and I normally ride a board about 40cm wide, so I think you'd want less than that. The smallest sizes in most board companies ranges seem to be 38/39/40cm so the choices are going to be quite limited unless you go for woman's/kids boards.
icedub

Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:14 pm

I know this thread is old, but I wanted to update it to say that I pulled the trigger and ordered a 7m Element! I managed to nab the 1/2 priced bar deal on the last day. Now that I have a second bar, I can leave one set with the line extensions off. I still want a 5m Element as well, but for the time being hopefully the shorter lines will help me extend the high-end of the 7m kite for my size.
kite*hawk

Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:23 pm

Sweet! Element 7M kite rocks! Here's another tip. I add another knot on the trailing edge pig tails on the kite as far out as you can tie. I call it my hurricane knot lol. Elements fly soo good depowered and still turn while depowered. In high winds I set my kite up so that when I push out on the bar it flutters , which means its fully depowered. Also I always fly all my elements on the most outside knot whlie surfing and the middle knot for twin tip,
dimip

Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:29 pm

icedub wrote:
dimip wrote:Give more info :)
Okay, more info it is!

I'd say I'm comfortable holding the 9m down until about 22 knots, then things start getting uncomfortable. I know that I don't like being as super powered up as other people, and I'm sure this will change as I progress. Keep in mind I'm a light weight at 55kg.

My Boards are both TT's:
Best Spark 134 x 42 cm
Liquid Force Overdrive 142 X 45 cm

Is the top end range on the 7m really that much higher than the 9?

My girlfriend is total beginner meaning that she stills struggle to go upwind she is also 55kg but she has no problem hold an 8m Nitro up to 24-25knots using my 132x41 board.
The board you are using are tools big also. At your kilos an 128x38 would be more appropriate.
9m down to 5m is to much gap. 9-7 or 8-6m. When using small kites even 1m counts. In Bigger sizes things are mode flexible...
icedub

Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:26 am

dimip wrote: At your kilos an 128x38 would be more appropriate.
That has become very apparent to me! I've found it difficult to find a men's board in that size. Everything that small is covered in pink graphics and branded as a "ladies" board. I don't really care too much about color, but finding it hard to believe there aren't other men/teens/kids who need a board in that range. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good freeride board in the 128x38 range?
kite*hawk

Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:25 am

Second hand on eBay maybe. I had a pink LF board at one point. It was sick! Although I think they make women's boards different than men's. Center of gravity thing. I know they do with snowboards anyway. Maybe have to get one custom made if you can afford that type of luxury.
dimip

Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:41 pm

icedub wrote:
That has become very apparent to me! I've found it difficult to find a men's board in that size. Everything that small is covered in pink graphics and branded as a "ladies" board. I don't really care too much about color, but finding it hard to believe there aren't other men/teens/kids who need a board in that range. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good freeride board in the 128x38 range?

Shinn monk it's 129x39 but it is kite power hungry.. I know cause I have it http://www.shinnworld.com/#!monk-the-one/c6pd
If you don't mind the color take the smaller for girls.. There is not girly board it's only marketing except the colors of course :p
icedub

Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:00 pm

I found a pretty good deal on a Nobile NHP 128x39 board (2014 model with straps, new for $299). I wish It was 38cm, but when it comes to 1cm is there really that big of a difference? Do you think that's a good size for me?
dimip

Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:58 pm

1cm with is like 33% bigger if I remember good. Width is what matter long has to do mainly with stance only.
Nhp is a good board I have test it. A bit on the stiff side and I suppose even stiffer at this size. It's good to test to see if you like. I think it will do the job as it has plenty of rocker which means kite power hungry....
barrywind

Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:08 pm

Perhaps a custom TT? Check out MTH customs, even though I have no experience with them. I'm considering getting in contact myself. I'm very tall, 6'2", and lean, 165#, and I'm looking for a longer board that's narrower than what is typical. One size does NOT fit all...
http://www.mthboards.com/
I also think BroBoards, in Corpus Christi, might be able to make a custom board. Perhaps Kynan will chime in...
-Barry
icedub wrote:
That has become very apparent to me! I've found it difficult to find a men's board in that size. Everything that small is covered in pink graphics and branded as a "ladies" board. I...e?
Thankfully I've only got one Switch kite in my quiver, a 15.5m Helium2. Send a PM if you want to buy it.
My Referral code = Sorry, No Longer a Pimp for Switch :(
-Barry