Element or Nitro.. I can't decide!

General Discussions
icedub

Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:14 pm

Hey All! I'm a 125lb new-ish kiter from Vermont, riding mostly on Lake Champlain but also make trips down to Cape Cod and Cape Hatteras throughout the year. I am solidly riding upwind, transitioning, and even playing with my first jumps. I learned on an Element 9m (V1) and, also have a 12m Munity Surf kite. The 12 is strong for a 12, and I find that the low end on the V1 9m leaves much to be desired.. so I find I have a bit of a hole in my quiver where the 9m is not powerful enough but the 12 feels too strong.

It seems like the Nitro has a bigger wind range, but the Element is more beginner friendly, and I certainly appreciate that in the gusty spot that is Lake Champlain, Vermont. I want something that will help me progress from where I am but not become a limiting factor in a season or two. Should I go with a new 9m Element or an 8 or 10m nitro?
Faxie

Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:49 pm

Lowend on the newer Elements is improved. The V1's were not that good in the lowend.

Imho the Element is a more suitable kite for practising stuff. More forgiving, faster less powerfull loops, better drift.

I ride with a 13 and 9, and have no gap at all between those kites.
icedub

Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:09 pm

Faxie wrote: I ride with a 13 and 9, and have no gap at all between those kites.
Thanks! I'm really glad to hear that. I think I'm gonna go with the 9m Element after all.