WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE TO SEE FROM SWITCH IN THE FUTURE

General Discussions
Bill C

Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:01 am

Hey SwitchGreg,
I hope you get to try a Nitro sometime. I own the Nitro 12m and 10m (also own Element 8m). I can tell you the Nitro has tremendous range, flies forward in the window and seems fast to me. Most of my kiting is done off the beach in crappy junk surf. My Nitro's beat upwind like crazy and does all the things you see on videos. I also use them with my directional board (with straps). They do not however, perform the same way as an Element or Ozone Reo for instance.

If people are riding directionals in your area, I assume there is surf involved and I can see why they choose Elements which is designed for surf, fast turning and drifting. Doesn't register with me why people would choose Ozone Edge for directional boards, especially if they want to take up strapless riding in the surf. If they are riding directional boards on flat water with straps, then I get it, but I wouldn't buy and Element for that application either.

Ozone kites are excellent kites. I own two of them and if I want to fly something that behaves more like the Element, I pump them. I always thought of the Ozone Edge as a quasi race kite (at least they were before foil kites) that were so focused on minimizing weight to the point that durability took a back seat. Maybe that's all changed nowadays.
borist

Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:21 am

SwitchGreg wrote:I would really like it if Switch could bring out some performance kites that could answer the performance and handling of the Ozone Edge.
you're not alone. nitro is certainly closer to edge than element, but not quite there. I used to fly them (the last was NV4), but now I prefer to get lightly used edge, so I don't need to pay so much. i strongly believe that kite choice is very personal and if you like something specific, substitute is often not good enough.
Faxie

Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:15 pm

Edge is only good for jumping. It fails at almost any other level, so I think the chances for a Switch 'Edge' are very minimal...

And I think the upcoming monostrut will be a competitive hydrofoil alternative for the Edge.
fluidity

Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:34 pm

A note about the wingtip straps which some people have said can be used as self rescue straps:
The inside stitching edge is a saw-tooth shape which I've found, the one time I grabbed the strap, starts ripping out the stitching. If these are to function dual purpose as self rescue straps then the stitching needs to be changed to straight on the inside edge.
SwitchGreg

Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:40 am

I see lots of Edges with happy people jumping and blasting on them. They look ok to me. Similarly, I have used my Crossbows extensively in the surf for the past 7 years. They're not as good as a pure surf kite but they work just fine with the right technique.

The Element is great in the surf but pretty horrible at the extremes of its range. Not a lot of low down grunt and super flappy once it's well powered. The Crossbow has much better bottom end and is much, much more well behaved at the top end.

That's kind of beside the point. I would like Switch to better position their kites in the market place so we know what to look at. Big boosting on TT is only a tiny part of the use of a kite. If the Nitro is a proper high performance rocket ship with good bottom end and great handling at the top end then I'll look at it. If they need to make another kite for people who want high performance and to ride foils then make one of those. Thanks.
queneseb

Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:50 pm

Hi SwitchGreg..

I'm Seb from France/Caribbean, last year i practice a lot of competition on hydrofoil.. with foil kite for race (Up and Down) and inflatable Nitro for speedcrossing and have pretty good result in both.

What can i say is that Nitro is a performance kite for Hydrofoil ! If you wanna do maneuver go on element, speed go on Nitro ! Top rider was on inflatable, Mazela on Furtive, ramecourt on Flysurfer boost, theo Lhotis on Core, Alex Cazeirgue on furtive etc.. some on rebel, dyno, .. All on 5 struts kite.. What we need for performance (Consider speed) is a fast who generate a lot of speed, with good depower... I don't find the limite of my Nitro yet, limit is on my balance on my hydrofoil... i'm my own speed limite :mrgreen:

If Sk make another kite, i think it could be a mono strut, or strut less, or improve the helium for LW (That what people are looking for on hydrofoil, freeride in LW).. and performance on hydrofoil stay marginal and nitro is for my 100% rocket-ready 8-)
My Referral Code: 100485
(Use my Code 100485 when Sign up or Buying on switchkites.com and obtain benefits, Rewards + Naked women !!)
dtmt

Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:40 pm

I know its probably been said before but with the ability to untwist the lines from below the bar - no need for the above bar swivel. Simple is good.
Alysum

Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:51 pm

It would be good to know whether a new version of the outdated MJ2 board is in the works. I doubt it though...
E5 7m, E3 9m, H3 12m & Reo 9m
kite*hawk

Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:36 am

12M ELEMENT!
Damian

Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:25 am

dtmt wrote:I know its probably been said before but with the ability to untwist the lines from below the bar - no need for the above bar swivel. Simple is good.
+1 from me. drop that horrible swivel and make it nice and simple. under bar swivel works very well.