Suggestions for Switch Control Bar

General Discussions
JeromeD

Sun May 06, 2012 1:53 am

I really like the Switch control bar and believe it is well engineered. I have some suggestions for improvements.

First lets start with the things that are right with the bar and should not be changed.
  • Above bar depower.
    All of depower available, not just half as with strap oriented depower systems.
    Knots for adjusting back lines (under floats).
    Under the bar center line untwisting.
    One piece bar construction.
    One bar that converts easily to either 45 or 55cm.
    Flying lines attach to knots instead of through larks heads, making it easier to change linesets.
    Velcro for attaching depower so it's not swinging in your face.
Here are my suggestions for improving the bar
  • Oh shit handles for back lines. Very handy if being submarined by a kite downed in the surf or having to self land in high wind conditions.
    Round out the bottom of the slideable stopper (like the top of it) so its a little friendlier to the hand when shoving it back up.
    A least an option for softer bar material. I've had to start using gloves for the first time in 10 years of kiting to give my hands a break from the super sticky and unforgiving bar material.
    Pre-impregnate the chicken line with parafin to extend it's life.
Last edited by JeromeD on Sun May 06, 2012 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Switch Element v6 5m
Switch Helium v3 7m, 9m, 12m
Jerome D
Elemental

Sun May 06, 2012 11:57 am

I think the bar is pretty good overall. Build quality is very good, and I like the grip on it - ideal for on handed unhooked etc. In my opinion Switch needs to offer a bar with an alternative safety with something that is closer to 100% depower when released. The current bar has one of the best on the market for more advanced riders who are doing alot of unhooked. For beginners or people who are only going to release when something is going wrong a safety system that totally kills the kites power is better.
gtc

Sun May 06, 2012 12:15 pm

I'm pretty satisfied with the Switch bar so far. Even so, I would change some things:

-Softer grip
-Depower strap or option to install it, as Airush does (or did) with its SmartBar.
-Better safety system
-Covered depower line

QR may seem a bit big but it works perfectly. I've had to activate it once and it worked nice.
Bishop

Sun May 06, 2012 1:33 pm

the only thing needs to be changed is the organizer, metal tends to bend
have seen it twice already

check your one !!!
naishdude

Sun May 06, 2012 5:05 pm

the new stuff ( like depower rope covered, better safety system etc) should be able to be adapted or installed in the first bar setup too as an upgrade.
Dude 8-)
hendrix24

Sun May 06, 2012 5:53 pm

please don't change the grip it's perfect. Also the QR is great, cause if you are doing some unhooked stuff and lost the bar you could grab the QR pretty good.
In my opinion only the safety could be better.
The depowerrope is good too.

Hangloose,
hendrik
TEAM RIDER - KIEL / GERMANY
* I have switched U2? *
-7m/9m/13m Element-
roli

Sun May 06, 2012 7:14 pm

hendrix24 wrote:The depowerrope is good too.
Sure?
fio

Mon May 07, 2012 8:36 am

I would also like the 100% depower safety, absolutely.
It would be great to have it as an option: connect the leash to the 100% depower in dangerous conditions (overpower, stormy weather, rocks or hard stuff nearby), otherwise use the present safety which is very comfortable.

Depower rope is ok when waxed, so just provide it pre-waxed.

I found that the velcro for holding depower handle works only with less than 10cm of depower pulled... with longer depower line it starts dangling and twisting around the other depower lines. It's not a big issue but I think it's possible to make something more effective.

Thanks Switch!
Switch Team Rider - Italy
hendrix24

Mon May 07, 2012 10:08 am

roli wrote:
hendrix24 wrote:The depowerrope is good too.
Sure?
Yes, i think it's not so bad. Just hold it away from sand and something. Than it have a long life.
TEAM RIDER - KIEL / GERMANY
* I have switched U2? *
-7m/9m/13m Element-
JeromeD

Mon May 07, 2012 1:08 pm

I forgot to mention one other thing that is CORRECT about the bar.
  • No finger bumps on the bar!
The problem with finger bumps on the bar is that either they are exatcly in the wrong place preventing you from putting your hands where you want or the span of the bumps doesn't fit the hands of the user as there is a huge variety in hand sizes of users.
Switch Element v6 5m
Switch Helium v3 7m, 9m, 12m
Jerome D